First Open Baffle Project - Augies, Sals, & Alpair 12p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have acquired some full range speakers and woofers and want to throw together an open baffle project to use with my F6, M2x, or F4. I am trying to decide the best speakers to build with what I have and was hoping to get some recommendations.

- 4 Total Hawthorne Augie 15s
- 2 Matched Scandanavia SAL08C08s
- 2 Matched Alpair 12ps

I am considering building crossovers and making something like the below link. The crossover design looks simple enough.

Tip_85
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or building an OB3 design which would use 2 15 inch woofers per speaker but I would need to use an active crossover.

Any recommendations would be great as this is my first step into building OB speakers.

Thanks.

I am not familiar with Linkwitz or Lotus Group. I'll do some experiencing now. I currently have a very small 11x11 listening room but will be moving to a bigger house soon that will have a room at least 13x15. It might still be overkill but I figured I would try building something since I the speakers were so cheap.

I am not familiar with Linkwitz or Lotus Group. I'll do some experiencing now. I currently have a very small 11x11 listening room but will be moving to a bigger house soon that will have a room at least 13x15. It might still be overkill but I figured I would try building something since I the speakers were so cheap.
My 2¢, Square rooms are difficult, standing waves, etc., that plus OB designs require a good bit of distance from room boundaries, especially the wall behind the back of the drivers to get the rear wave to "gel".
I'd suggest doing something else with your nice collection of drivers.
FWIW, there has been talk of a Frugal horn XL variant, the A12p Joan horn which are probably well suited to corner loading and may work along the 13' wall of your larger room although I'm not sure about that because 13'x15' is still a smallish room. That and to date as far as I know work on the A12p Joan horn hasn't progressed past a plan waiting to be drawn and bata tested?

It's marginal but worth a try Room Acoustics
I was thinking with the FHXL.Joan A12p in his corners, the sweet spot triangle would put him close to or even at the rear wall, therefore a large tapestry hung on the rear wall over acoustic foam or the like should do it for him. Also, something on the sidewalls closer to the drivers to take care of that first HF reflection.
However, as I said, it would appear the Joan horn isn't happening, for all I know it may have failed beta test, P10 Dave or Chris (I forget which one), did say they had a lot of trouble designing it, so. IDK, maybe he could pull it off with a smallish driver OB design? I don't see it with his 2 per side Augie 15 woofers/Scandanavia design 8" full-range. Actually, after looking at the Dick Olsher x-over design for one Augie 15/SAL08C08 per side I can't imagine why he'd want 4 Augie 15's, especially in a 15' x 18' room ... but then again, speaking as someone who can't make up their mind about anything, it's a million times easier to give opinions and advice to others than for oneself!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.