• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Personal look forward the small version that replace VSSA with group delay linear from DC to bandwidth limit, LC good soldering/development :).
Thanks, I'll do my best. :up:

I thinks that the First One S will be very interesting for active systems :)
Very interesting because of its small footprint of just 50 x 70 mm and 100 Wrms/4 Ohm. :yes:

Yes, it is! I'm already using FO v1.2 in my active 4-way open baffle system for 110-500hz bandwidth. Now waiting for the new modules to cover midrange and treble.
Yes, just a little bit more and First One v1.4 M, which is a direct replacement of v1.2, will be available first. ;)

How about the cost of each module? and Power supply requirements?
This has to be determined yet, but First One v1.4 M will be in the price range of v1.2, S and L versions around this price.

Power supply recommended:
First One S: +/-30-45 V
First One M: +/-40-65 V
First One L: +/-50-85 V

I believe the M version should be direct replacement for FO v1.2 and from this post it looks like the S version will be a replacement for VSSA modules
S version will be replacement for VSSA but not direct, naimly mounting holes will be of different layout and a little bit bigger PCB. :)

Well, I just start noticing that Andrej doesn't really like answering my questions. Maybe it's a stupid question. So, I think just need to shut up.:(
No stupid questions here, just a lack of time lately since L and S versions are taking me a lot of time to lay PCB. :p

Lazy cat,
Can you try to describe the sonic differences between those three amplifier modules?
For what purposes could you recommend each of them?
Well S, M and L will have the same front-end engine, so quite determined SQ, the main differences will be in the output stages and number of output power devices present. ;)

The easiest way to describe SQ difference between First One v1.2 and First One v1.4 is like if comparing DVD and Blu-ray quality. :wiz:

It would be great if the S version would be somehow offered in a extended PSU voltage range requirement (say up to 60v) in order to be able to use the same SMPS to power a configuration like 2xS and 1xM at +/-54V.
Application would be for a 3-way active speakers.

Looking also forward for fully balanced inputs.;)

Thanks, I'll do my best. :up:

This has to be determined yet, but First One v1.4 M will be in the price range of v1.2, S and L versions around this price.

No stupid questions here, just a lack of time lately since L and S versions are taking me a lot of time to lay PCB. :p

The easiest way to describe SQ difference between First One v1.2 and First One v1.4 is like if comparing DVD and Blu-ray quality. :wiz:

Thanks for answering my question. Looking forward to buying one of those modules and preparing a budget for power supply, that's why I ask that question. I tried connextronics and Hypex but Hypex perform better so far even though its a bit expensive. I might try another SMPS manufacturer soon.

Thanks for answering my question. Looking forward to buying one of those modules and preparing a budget for power supply, that's why I ask that question. I tried connextronics and Hypex but Hypex perform better so far even though its a bit expensive. I might try another SMPS manufacturer soon.

Looks like The S variant will be out of spec range of SMPS1200A180.
I was hoping to be able to drive 4-6 S modules for an active setup with a hypex SMPS.

What is idle power consumption of the new modules going to be like?

Lazy cat, may I suggest that you keep your very first post updated with module spec and pricing etc. for current models, findind info in a long thread is starting to become complicated - just a suggestion to help new comers ...

Last edited:
It would be great if the S version would be somehow offered in a extended PSU voltage range requirement (say up to 60v) in order to be able to use the same SMPS to power a configuration like 2xS and 1xM at +/-54V.
Application would be for a 3-way active speakers.

Looking also forward for fully balanced inputs.;)
OK, we'll set First One S supply voltages to be fully compatible with M version, so both could be easily combined in an active system on the same SMPS.

Balanced input possible by using line transformer or balanced/unbalanced input opamp converter. Balanced input driving two channels in mono (bridge) also as an option possible.

Although Lazy Cat describes V1.2 vs. V1.4 as CD vs. Blu-Ray I am still looking forward to the end result of my V1.2 build...

Having a glimpse at the future it is even more fun to start at the beginning...from here on it only gets better..how good is that!

R.
Very good thinking, step by step is the right way. :up:

Higher price justified by the quality, I said that a lot of times and still sticked to the Hypex until someone else prove me some new SMPS producer on the same level. During FO v1.4 testing period two SMPS1200A400 were abused abnormally without any sign of wear, hats off.

Looks like The S variant will be out of spec range of SMPS1200A180.
I was hoping to be able to drive 4-6 S modules for an active setup with a hypex SMPS.

What is idle power consumption of the new modules going to be like?

Lazy cat, may I suggest that you keep your very first post updated with module spec and pricing etc. for current models, findind info in a long thread is starting to become complicated - just a suggestion to help new comers ...
FO S variant will be in a range of SMPS1200A180 and A400, no worries about that.
S 180 mA, M 280 mA, L 380 mA, multiply with supply voltage and there you go with Watts.
I'm thinking about opening new thread for S, M, L amplifiers, we'll see.

L.C. :cheers:

OK, we'll set First One S supply voltages to be fully compatible with M version, so both could be easily combined in an active system on the same SMPS.
:worship:
Hi LC this is perfect - thanks.
Will accommodate with the default unbalanced input.

Can you please give instructions?

LC is referring to adding line receivers such as TI's INA134 or INA137 or line transformers such as Lundahl's LL1540 or using 2 amp modules in bridge mode.;)

Thanks, Eric!
Where can I find more information how to make these circuits? Are there any assambled PCB's available that will do the work?
My DAC has active balanced outputs if that makes sense.

I haven' really search for ready made solution but if you search for "Assembled SSM2141 Balanced Unbalanced board" on ebay you already have one.
Note: need an extra power supply preferably low noise (if available I am not sure the auxilliary power supply of the SMPS is good enough - worth to test anyway before purchasing a dedicated one).