First diy - IP 125asx2 x 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bear with me, lots of learning to do.

So after reading hundreds/thousands of pages, on this forum and others, I'm going to build my primary amp (for the "music room") to drive my Energy 22's. I use the term "build" loosely. I've decided to take the easy route and go with the Icepower 125asx2 module and connectors. I'm going to run two of them in BTL to get the desired power.

Parts itemized so far:

2 x 125asx2 modules
2 x 125asx2 connector kits
1 x btl board
1 x soft start board
1 x speaker protection board
1 x AC<>AC EMI filter board
4 x speaker terminals
2 x rca connectors
1 x c14 power connector with main power switch
1 x large case

I'm looking for advice on the btl board, soft start board and speaker protection board for btl use with these icepower modules. Also looking for advice on adding an AC audio EMI filter in front of the 125asx2 modules. Or is any of this needed...?

My soldering skills are novice, so swapping components from boards is not in scope for phase 1 of this project. No doubt I'll get there eventually.

I was thinking of going with a slim profile wide case to accommodate everything. Then I started looking at tall 4U'ish class A cases where I could mount the icepower modules on the sides of these tall cases, with the rest of the additional boards strategically placed in the bottom of the case. No size requirements other than lots of room to accommodate everything.

I got the go ahead from my wife that this is my xmas present this year :)

I'm looking for advice on the btl board, soft start board and speaker protection board for btl use with these icepower modules. Also looking for advice on adding an AC audio EMI filter in front of the 125asx2 modules. Or is any of this needed...?

Double check the specs on those ICE modules. I think you'll find they have voltage, current and temperature safeties built in.

You may also want to take a look at this video and website... There are kits available... Ice Amp Build

You should note that ICE modules, while excellent quality and sound, are professional products and they can be very hard to source as retail items.

Thank you for all the responses!

I'm reading up on the IRS2092S now, in dual mono which should provide a lots of distortion free power up to 300w, if implemented correctly.

How does the IRS2092S compare to the IcePower 125asx, other than power?

I had my Energy's driven previously by a TDA7498, and it sounded ok. Then I installed a TPA3255 with a 48v PS and those speakers definitely came to life more.

Now I'm really interested to know how they will sound with a 250-300w amp.

ICEpower 125ASX is a great module to work with.
you don't need soft start, output protection, EMC filtering...it's all built-in.
for BTL you will need an unbalanced-balanced converter. The ICEpower has AUX power to run external circuits like a few opamps, or converter board. The AUX supply is +/-22Vdc so you need to drop it down to +/-15 for the opamp. This board on eB will do all of that:
eBay item number:311772963011
when running in BTL mode, minimum speakers are 4 ohms but safer with 6 ohms

How many BTL boards would I need for this build? Just the one?

There a lot of 125asx2 boards on ebay/ali. What are the thoughts on the legitimacy of them? They look legit from what I can tell. I suppose one could order them and use the built in dispute mechanisms with both sites if they turn out to be fakes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.