First discrete amp, Need help with NTE 390, 391, 375, 398, and BD140, 139 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm A+ and Novell certified.
I'm not but I have repaired 7K + PC's
Most codec sound uses PCI, except for my intel which uses
PCI-e..still don't use onboard cause it sounds worse
and has higher latancy for my VST stuff.

Isn't that just not using the PCI bus for audio

Turning it off will free up 2 IRQ's at least it does on my NVidia
and Intel chipsets.Sound blasters are the most picky of the sound cards as far as slot placement,too..
OS

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/multimedia/m-audio-revolution51.html

a very good card, very light software package.. the ONLY
one to give me stable >1ms latency.. Vista drivers are only
on their site,not included.. but vista sucks for audio anyways.

Dont give up on your SB, try the port shutdowns and especially the PCI slot "trick" . maybe ,if it works on another chipset
use it there.
OS

r5.1cardiso.jpg

MJL21193 said:
My system. Nothing special.

Interesting! Its almost the same computer.
I wonder if you're using one of the newer bios that turns off the PCI queue? I haven't tried updating the bios yet.

My X-Fi Music does almost unintelligible sound output on Nvidia, but works fine if I use it in my old computer.

Those M-Audio with the Via chip are looking interesting, but I'm just hesitant on putting stuff inside my particular computer.

Those M-Audio with the Via chip are looking interesting, but I'm just hesitant on putting stuff inside my particular computer

Fraid' to put stuff inside your computer..:) :) That's a new one
I'm afraid to keep anything OUTSIDE mine..
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Might get stolen or tinkered with..lock it up inside that big case.
:D
OS

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
danielwritesbac said:

Oh! I didn't know that the M-Audio production unit would fail to meet approval.

Hi Dan,
Are you able to read and understand the results of test equipment? When I posted that above, did you understand what it represents?

What I'm saying Dan is that I think it is a waste of MONEY. My $50 X-Fi will outperform that for 1/4 of the price. BUT if feel you need to buy that in order to get "good sound", you have my blessing...:)

MJL21193 said:
Hi Dan,
Are you able to read and understand the results of test equipment? When I posted that above, did you understand what it represents?

What I'm saying Dan is that I think it is a waste of MONEY. My $50 X-Fi will outperform that for 1/4 of the price. BUT if feel you need to buy that in order to get "good sound", you have my blessing...:)

I think that MY X-Fi Music has some sort of defect, because it doesn't produce a useful output. This doesn't seem to apply towards a comparison.

But, there is a comparison. . . One pretty big difference is that the Via from years ago would do the same odd trick as the Technics tuner, Akai open reel, and my LP. Every so often, the audio would be like real people actually in the house. The cats would frizz up and look around. That was hilarious. ;)
When the X-Fi Music worked well, it was quite involving, but really never that realistic.

It did work okay on the old computer, but it just doesn't work well with the new computer. X-Fi Audio works okay.

Just now, I bought the M-Audio internal card that OS uses. This, I'll compare with the X-Fi Audio, and maybe learn something.

Thanks for all your help!

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
danielwritesbac said:

But, there is a comparison. . . One pretty big difference is that the Via from years ago would do the same odd trick as the Technics tuner, Akai open reel, and my LP. Every so often, the audio would be like real people actually in the house. The cats would frizz up and look around. That was hilarious. ;)
When the X-Fi Music worked well, it was quite involving, but really never that realistic.

You bring the same level of magical mumbo jumbo to everything you talk about, be it chip amps and caps or sound cards! VIA didn't sprinkle pixie dust on any of it's chips to make them sound glorious!
On one level, this is fairly amusing, to hear the way you "review" different things based mostly on how you "feel" about them or how you believe they are. Your keen observations of the feline activity, giving you clues to the "realism" of the presentation. You take a figment of imagination and expound on it like it is fact.
On another I find that this is starting to infuriate me more than entertain. :eek:

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.