First class D amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of building my first class D amp. It should be small and cheap.
I need to power a pair of small Jamo speakers on my desk, so it doesn't necessarily need much power and I'm not looking for the greatest quality either, but I'd like to do the best for my limited budget.
There are two options:
1) I'm going for a very small, low power, lightweight, extremely cheap amp. Something like a TA2020, TPA3123, TDA2030, TDA7492, ... These usually run of a standard DC power supply that's readily available (like laptop adapters).
2) I'm going for some more power and slightly higher quality, but still cheap: TDA7498, TK2050, TDA8950, ... This means a larger power supply, so more weight and a higher cost.

What do you guys think I should start with?
Also, should I use a SMPS or a linear supply?

Thanks,
Psycho

Hi,

Cheap its best to just buy, once you factor in the cost of casework etc.

Cheap a SMPS is much better than a Wallwart.

E-pray, search for class T and choose carefully. I got a decent
T-amp and supply for not really very much from Hong Kong.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

Cheap its best to just buy, once you factor in the cost of casework etc.

Cheap a SMPS is much better than a Wallwart.

E-pray, search for class T and choose carefully. I got a decent
T-amp and supply for not really very much from Hong Kong.

rgds, sreten.

Casework etc is very cheap for me because I can get free materials and I can use the university's (FabLab) laser cutter for cutting PMMA plastic.
So the only cost are the electronic components (probably the transformer/power supply will be the most expensive part)

I have a TPA3116 2.1 amplifier with Mission Cyrus bookshelf speakers and it does sound really good used with an LED TV.
It was bought from ebay (for about $20 delivered) as a populated PCB that I built into a case with an external 24V 5A power supply.
Link to my post about the build,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp-30.html#post3634143

Post #297
Your power supply should be more than adequate.
I don't use the sub channel at the moment, the volume is turned to zero, but I have a 6Ω 5 watt resistor connected to the output to provide a termination to protect the output stage.
There may be a 2 channel version available as well as the 2.1
I also have a Lepai unit that is really good value for money if you don't want the hassle of building a case but for me that is what it is all about. The TDA3116 does sound better than the Lepai though.

I have a TPA3116 2.1 amplifier with Mission Cyrus bookshelf speakers and it does sound really good used with an LED TV.
It was bought from ebay (for about $20 delivered) as a populated PCB that I built into a case with an external 24V 5A power supply.

Thanks! I think this is the 2 channel version:
1pc TPA3116 Class D 2 50W AMP KIT Amplifier DIY Assembled Board | eBay

Your build is looking very neat! I want to do a similar job (using a see-through plastic case) but I want to put the power supply inside the case. However, is this possible without the power supply interfering with the amplifier too much ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.