Finishing ASC capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I received the ASC capacitors for my upcoming build and I have a question: has anyone left them unfinished? Do they oxidize without a clear coat? How about a simple metal polish? Recs welcome.

swaAeb4.jpg

Here is the method I have used with great success:
  1. Remove label and residual adhesive
  2. Hand sand with non-woven sanding pad - Maroon (00), then Gray (000), then White (0000)
  3. Spray paint from can. I use Rust-Oleum Mist Metallic Spray Paint, Carbon Mist 261413; Generally one coat is sufficient.
  4. After several days or a few weeks, use a light clear wax to protect (apply by hand and buff). I use Briwax for all wood or metal finishing.
Have Fun!!

JM

Just polish them mirror shiny, aluminum creates its own clear coat, like it or not, so no need to add anything else for protection.

It might be needed if they are subject to, say, saline spray mist (beachside home) but then steel parts (chassis) will rust alarmingly fast, way before the aluminum corrodes, so it's not the case.

This is the resident Bass amplifier at a seaside restaurant, after 6 years.
Mind you, it did not look that bad from the outside:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

even so, visible aluminum surfaces were way better than an\y iron one ... even though iron was zinc plated.

What's my point? ... don't overworry about aluminum :)

Here are the results. The two center capacitors are polished with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. The longitudinal scuff marks are still present but perhaps less obvious in person. The overall polish was underwhelming at first, even after two to three passes with a rotary buffing wheel and hand polish. That said, after ogling them for a while I think it's an improvement over the raw aluminum.

Obcu3f5.jpg

Don't worry about what you can't solve: those scuff marks are deep and inevitable, the result of deep drawing aluminum (which started as a disk) to make the can.

Brass can be deeply drawn as much as you wish with no marks or scratches, it's a very forgiving metal, just look at this beautiful 88mm antiaircraft cannon cartridge:
1495421_121031154522_002.JPG

... aluminum? ... "not that much"... and that's the polite answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.