• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Finally Giving These "Laidys" a Try - Not Too Shabby

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Back in 2020 I was building my SSE and chose Transcendar OPTs for the build. Some may remember that I also got a crazy good deal on these Chinese "Laidys" OPTs https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/rolled-the-dice-on-chinese-opts.348858/post-6422961

Recap: They weigh in at 990g, cost me ~$80 CAD total (for both, including shipping) and they are ugly AF. 5K primary and 4/8ohm secondaries (with UL tap). 38 Henries.

I plan to build a TSE-II (w/45s) and I am gathering parts. Apparently, Gery isn't winding the Transcendars anymore. It occurred to me that I could rob the Transcendars from my SSE and use them in my TSE-II build, and swap the "Laidys" into my SSE.

So, that's what I did. This is the first time I have ever even heard these OPTs and I must say they are quite decent. Everything from lows to highs all sound perfectly pleasant to me, even when I push some fairly loud SPL. I will give them a more thorough listen this evening.

I'd like to say it is hard to find fault, but it isn't. They truly are the ugliest OPTs I have ever seen. Would be a great OPT if "sleeper" amps were a thing. You know, like those sleeper cars that look like a piece of junk but have 600hp under the hood and can do 0-60 in 5 seconds.

The bad news? Sellers on ebay seem to be asking around $90 each (incl. shipping) for these same OPTs now.

Reactions: 1 user