Finally a good enclosure for small Class A projects

For months I've been on the lookout for a good, well-ventilated enclosure to house the JLH headphone amp, which is Class A, has board-mounted heatsinks on both sides, and runs pretty hot. Most project boxes have zero ventilation and are unusable.

I recently discovered Cheval makes a series of electronic enclosures which are well thought out and executed, with excellent cooling vents. They're made in various footprints and heights. For the JLH-HP amp I got this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Enclosure-Case-Full-Aluminum/dp/B09MK1Z7K7/ref=sr_1_13_sspa

and it is excellent. Two adjustable board-mounting rails make pcb support easy. Once assembled, the top and bottom can be easily removed for mods/service.

The only drawback I've found is that the painted panels and anodized screws don't make for good continuity between them, so chassis grounding for shielding needs to be addressed. Scraping away a little paint around the side screw holes and using uncoated beveled flat-top screws solves the problem for the sides, top, and bottom. The front and back will need to be connected separately.

Check them out. These enclosures are reasonably priced and readily available.

Attachments

• jlhpbox1.jpg
    jlhpbox1.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 198
  • jlhpbox2.jpg
    jlhpbox2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 176
  • jlhpbox3.jpg
    jlhpbox3.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 192
  • jlhpbox4.jpg
    jlhpbox4.jpg