Filter for Peerless 830896

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

I am going to be using these 3" widerangers for HT surround as well as serious listening ambience:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8305

I am wondering if I should notch the peak in the 10K region - it appears to be fairly significant.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

And a belated Happy New Year to everybody.

Attachments

• 830986 fr.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 58
I want to get away with a single driver with minimal filter - I decided to order the Aura NS3-193-8A1 - more expensive and less efficient than the Peerless, but it has a smaller peak lower down that I don't think will need a notch, and the next one is up at 15 which I think for my needs will be pretty much out of the way.

sdclc126 said:
I want to get away with a single driver with minimal filter - I decided to order the Aura NS3-193-8A1 - more expensive and less efficient than the Peerless, but it has a smaller peak lower down that I don't think will need a notch, and the next one is up at 15 which I think for my needs will be pretty much out of the way.

Hi, wishful thinking, ;)/sreten.

Attachments

• aurans3-193.gif
    aurans3-193.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 195
Well, this is what Zaph says about the NS3 -

"An exceptionally wide bandwidth driver, with relatively good bass performance and high output for this size. This is one of the very few drivers that "could" be run full range without a filter, though I'd still recommend at least some baffle step compensation."

Thanks Thawach -

Well let's see - I'm going to mount these on 3" diameter ABS plumbing pipes, in the back corners of the room, facing upward at a 45 degree angle. The "baffle" will therefore be oval shaped and only maybe 1/4" wider than the driver frame at the center.

The tubes will be filled with sand, leaving the recommended 2-3L of volume, stuffed with polyfill. Given all these unconventional variables, will BSC still be necessary or effective? If so, could somebody possibly recommend the component values?

Later on, when I get a (flat panel :devilr: ) TV for my bedroom, I plan to make a 3.1 HT system based on these, with more traditional cabinets. Perhaps I'll get more serious about filtering them in this case, but since they'll be supported by a sub I'm again wondering if they'll need any BSC.

Still a dunce with filters...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.