Field coil driver for OB design advice sought!

Just want to leave the comment because I think some of the common is clearly bias and narrow-minded.
I stumbled to this thread only because I went to an audio show and without any assumption or idea about OB, the one I like the sound the most out the entire show, happened to be an OB. That’s why I try to google and read more about the related topic.

So there are people in this world who actually prefers OB not because of they have invested time and money for the placebo effect. just saying.

Reactions: 1 users
Just want to leave the comment because I think some of the common is clearly bias and narrow-minded.
I stumbled to this thread only because I went to an audio show and without any assumption or idea about OB, the one I like the sound the most out the entire show, happened to be an OB. That’s why I try to google and read more about the related topic.

So there are people in this world who actually prefers OB not because of they have invested time and money for the placebo effect. just saying.
Not sure if anyone said OB is a placebo, but it is a fact that OB will take you only so far...
Yes, you can fly on a DIY kit plane, but do not kid yourself it is a Boeing Dreamliner or a Lockheed F22. Many years ago, I made a few OBs for myself and others, and - as my own mentor back then said" - it will only get you about 80% there, which, of course, for many will suffice!
The last 20% are the most difficult ones, and yes, they are much tougher to do as the sound reproduction system has to go beyond simple napkin sketch or notebook calculation, and more into a proper engineering territory. A lot of it has to do with the room itself - the way a speaker is "loading" the air in room, etc.
I used to joke that OBs are great for single men, because to make them sound ok you have to position them fairly deep into the middle of a room to avoid any boundary reflection from back wall. As many married men would know - having free-standing objects in the middle of a room is not everyone's cup of tea and can even be hazardous if you have kids and pets. Taking into account that OBs are the easiest to make - relative to ANY box, no wonder they are most popular with either youngsters in their early 20's or retirees living alone. Even youngsters - those who have more ambition, discover at some point that to increase an appeal of their bachelor's pads, OBs are not an acceptable sonic solution.
One last quick note - acoustically, there is only one scenario when OB actually makes sense - it is when only compression drivers are used. Then, OB can go anywhere, including next to a wall or INTO a wall. We are talking about having proper WE555 drivers and such, and if you got that sort of money, then you may as well have plenty of extra rooms in your house to locate your OBs properly.
For mere mortals, living in normal size rooms, well-designed boxes are ALWAYS better, just more difficult to design and to make. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone reply to the above question about the current requirements of an average field coil?

Thanks!

Gianluca
Ciao Gianluca,

What is an average field coil?
Some manufacturers provide data, but to have an idea: my FERTIN ACOUSTICS 8" FC driver needs 1,5 amps at 12V, my 18" FC driver needs 3 amps. A 40 watt PSU of good quality is sufficient for both of them and possibly for many other drivers, too.

All the best

Mattes

Normally well designed field coils runs as low as 8vdc to 16vdc. It doesn't mean can't use 20vdc, it can run higher voltage. It just heats up the motor.

For example my field coil winding is winded on a Aluminum Bobbin, so I can use up to 24vdc as the bobbin helps to dissipate the heat.

1691488851335.png

1691488766767.png

1691488684522.png