fertin marble enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marble can be used to make speaker enclosure. Much more difficult to work
than wood but the result can be very interesting. Here are some exemples
of all marble enclosures. These are designed by Jean-Marie Semblat of
Fertin Acoustic. Very massive 350kg (more than 700pounds / pair). The mass
will eliminate the side wall resonance. Made of St-Laurent black marble,
(21/2 inch think- the front panel 3 inch thick)- a double bass reflex
(25hz-25khz).

This is part of a full range system centered on the 20ex model 7
(surroundless driver)-efficiency of 98db with a very low qts.
This will be power by a classA set amp with no negative feedback.
Massive cabinet+ high efficient surroundless driver+ class A set amp.

picture of the Fertin Languedoc (black St-Laurent marble)....

Attachments

• DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 459
Thanks Planet10....

The sub is even more impressive; white marbel 300kg++ each. Impossible to
move without some kind of lift...

Pictures of the sub and beside it , a small triangular shape enclosure . The AP13 (5inch) fieldcoil is used in this one.
Not as big sound as the 20ex model 7 but
a lot of details and very good dynamic. Triangular shape with rounded edge.
The sub has a brass basket. The reason it has no cone is that I put it
in myself for the purpose of the picture. These pictures were taken on
my trip to Sigean, last summer. Jean-Marie had just received the sub and
it wasn't functionnal but I had the chance to listen intensively to the
two other loudspeakers.

iver been considering a geological solution to my cabinet woes....

:pi must say that ive been tempted for a number of years to build some speakers using SOME form of stone, though perhaps not marble-its not quite my taste- This temptation has never been realised, and ive stuck with MDF or ply.

Until the other day......

walking around the supermarket i found, at xmas discount prices, some rather nice black granite chopping boards. at around 1/2" thick i figure theyre more than adequate, and are available in a size which will accomodate my ideas. I prefer the look of granite anyday, and for less than £20 for the granite, i couldnt say no!

with any luck ill be wielding an anglegrinder in a maniacal fashion, and crafting something rather special in the mini monitor vein.:p

:pi must say that ive been tempted for a number of years to build some speakers using SOME form of stone, though perhaps not marble-its not quite my taste- This temptation has never been realised, and ive stuck with MDF or ply.

Until the other day......

walking around the supermarket i found, at xmas discount prices, some rather nice black granite chopping boards. at around 1/2" thick i figure theyre more than adequate, and are available in a size which will accomodate my ideas. I prefer the look of granite anyday, and for less than £20 for the granite, i couldnt say no!

with any luck ill be wielding an anglegrinder in a maniacal fashion, and crafting something rather special in the mini monitor vein.:p

Jean-Marie also used marble for its open-baffle (I have a picture but I have problem
putting it here).
Why not build the front baffle with 2X1/2 with green glue in between.
Well, cutting a hole in wood, no problem; but in granite that might be a bit more difficult.
As for the sound of marble, no worry; it sounds pretty good . I've just started
building those in wood: 3X 3/4 inch russian plywood with green glue in between the
panels.....probably overbuild....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.