Ferro cooled or not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been playing around with some drivers testing the impedance charatersitics. I seem to see a trend that ferro fluid cooled drivers show some jaggedness (like noise) in the impedance graph, while those not ferro fluid cooled have impedance curves really clean.

I wonder what other people experience.

Have you tried warming them up first with a test tone, pink noise or even music? Ferrofluid has a tendancy to migrate toward any magnetic 'hot spot' inside the gap and therefore become distributed unevenly in a FF cooled driver. By warming them up I jsut mean 10-15 seconds of stimulation to distribute the FF. Try it both ways and see if it makes a difference.

I suppose there is some fluid dynamics taking place in the gap that may cause that. At certain frequincies It may be more difficult for the ferrofluid to get out of the the way of the former as it moves up and down. Is there any way you could post a curve? I think I know what you mean by the curves looking zig-zag but I want to see if I am thinking of the same thing that you are describing. I am going to look into some of the drivers at my work and see if ther is a correlation between ferrofluid and the jaggedness of curves.

This is a non ferro.

Attachments

• non ferro.jpg
    non ferro.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 89
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.