Fern & Roby Raven $$$ single driver full range

Eighty Five hundred US dollars !!! , for a pair of eight-inch fullrangers? Even if the drivers are at $500 a piece, where's all the money going towards? Social media is virtually free...I know, pure profit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rick...

Reactions: 1 users
Woodworking of the real solid wood (I see no reason not to use Baltic birch ply).

Hand built in USA

And a contouring network (gasp, lol)

R&d, marketing, utilities, insurance on your employees, workmans comp insurance, small scale sales compared to revel or jbl, rooms at audio shows, etc.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Eighty Five hundred US dollars !!! , for a pair of eight-inch fullrangers? Even if the drivers are at $500 a piece, where's all the money going towards?

Even using the stock FA22 (as oppopsed to a custom one [minimum 1000 pieces?]), you could not diy this loudspeaker for $500. Solid wood and Richlite.

Add in shipping boxes, rent, accounting, and all those other things, $8500 seems it might be a decent price. Especially if going thru dealers and not selling direct.

Compare to the €5k (in Europe) Sibelis, and that puts thoigns into a better perspective.

I have some differences with the designer (i’d use cheaper, better much less probl;ematic stranded bamboom for instance) but he seems to be doing a solid job, and it is great to see more single driver FRs. And if it is a cutom driver why not fix the issues at the sourcwe instead of bandaging them with a filter.

I have a set of (modded) FA22 in a recycled KEGF Calinda box and driven by an ACA they souid really good.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don’t hear anything awry in that range with my FA22. Phase plugs a requirement. Then Puzzlekoat. EnABL is gravy, improving DDR.

FA22-calinda-enclosure.jpg

These are the ones i used, they need a couple divots on the bass to clear the crimps (2) on the polepiece.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/B200-phase-plug.pdf

dave

Then Puzzlekoat. EnABL is gravy

I've often wondered, how much is the extent of benefit from such methods/treatments? For an already high budget driver like the FA22 I can understand wanting to do such things, but at what point would you consider it better to upgrade to a nicer driver? Presumably a Vifa TC9FD could also benefit, but I could imagine upgrading to something like the Scan Speak 10F/8424 would be much better than a treated TC9FD. Or would you not recommend to bother with this unless the drivers in question already have low distortion? (I'm just using these drivers as examples of relatively cheaper and more expensive ones)

the peak at 3khz ?

joseph crow worked on a filter for it even.
"Implementing a notch at 3kHz improved the overall sound noticeably. Below is a comparison showing the effect of the notch filter. "

https://josephcrowe.com/blogs/news/seas-fa22rcz-8-fullrange-driver

I guess some are more sensitive to it, or listen to music that lights up that area......

I would like to see measurements of before/after, of the dust cap removal / added phase plug.

Even phase plugged 8" full rangers peak or lift in that region usually, standing waves of frequency versus diameter stuff maybe also.
check out the w8 1808.

w8-1808 freq response.jpg

And the 2145 (below)............

2145 freq response.jpg

notch helped on the 2145.........
Without it, Adele is too nasaly..............

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Presumably a Vifa TC9FD could also benefit

It probably woukld but it is such a poor driver to start with. You are going to put hrs of labour into a $10 driver, when you could do the same to a better driver at aven a modest increase in cost. They would be good for practise thou.

For any size driver you ar eputting about the same amount of effort.

Scanspeak 10F

I loaned mine out and they disappeared so never had a chance to go at them.

dave

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
the peak at 3khz ?

joseph crow worked on a filter for it even.
"Implementing a notch at 3kHz improved the overall sound noticeably. Below is a comparison showing the effect of the notch filter. "

https://josephcrowe.com/blogs/news/seas-fa22rcz-8-fullrange-driver

I guess some are more sensitive to it, or listen to music that lights up that area......

I would like to see measurements of before/after, of the dust cap removal / added phase plug.

Even phase plugged 8" full rangers peak or lift in that region usually, standing waves of frequency versus diameter stuff maybe also.
check out the w8 1808.

View attachment 1288314

And the 2145 (below)............

View attachment 1288315

notch helped on the 2145.........
Without it, Adele is too nasaly..............
They should make scale zero to 1000dB and both responses would be perfectly flat.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't ya' just love how the FR community easily sidesteps those god-awful SPL graphs? The noted Seas FA22RCZ driver in those graphed examples...running at 45 decibels at 8600 hertz, then climbing to sixty decibels by appx. 14K hertz...a "hissing tweeter" with that...a sawblade toothed response, it's just all bad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

not sure my "older" ears would mind that spike up there.
Now 8khz, that's where the hissing and t's are, easily heard and objectionable.

Making large full range drivers flat without eq of some sort seems impossible.

I don't like whizzers, but they can be a necessary evil on larger full range driver cones.......

Maybe it is too costly to remake the altec 8", where the cone is more like separate rings....
some corals did this, but a coral fan here moved onto the w8-1772 drivers............

Intermodulation distortion usually bothers me the most, listening to 1 driver 10' away.
"however, the Altec by itself was no match for any of them in stereo." (Comparing a single altec in telefunken open baffle (open backed) to other stereo 8" full range drivers, on glow in the dark audio's review of the 755a.)
http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/altec-755a.html

Steve in the 1st/2nd video had a pair 6' apart listening about 6' away.

I expect too much I guess.........

Last edited:
It seems strange that he would even consider compromising optimal driver height and cabinet dimensions for elusive hand wavy wiffle-waffle about WAF.
People who are ready to drop 85k for a pair of speakers are we beyond superficial and misunderstood considerations like that.

If you drop the height down to the floor, without the stands, add a slight block under the front for focus perhaps 36" @ 7', you could have 1 to 1.618 ratios on the original Raven.

but people like narrower speakers.
And maybe it is more of a mltl being so pipe like, picking up a bit of resonance to fill in baffle step.............

And these are 8.5k US dollars, not 85k, big difference.