Fender Bassman Ten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently got a Bassman Ten-I replaced the old speakers and it sounds great at church and small gigs, but I was told there are better tubes than the original 7025's, 12AT7, and 6L6G6's. I know nothing about tubes, and if anybody can help me with this I'd appreciate it. I haven't used tubes since 1971, and if it can be made more effecient, that'd be cool. Thanks ahead. BennyB

Hmmm. Sounds great when you use it, but you want to replace the tubes anyway because someone told you there were "better" tubes available. I don;t get it.

There is nothing at all wrong with the tubes they used in those amps. The 6L6 power tubes will wear out over time, but that all depends upon the length of use and intensity of use. Like tires on your car. The age of the tube is irrelevant. Your 6L6s MIGHT be ready to replace, but if the amp sounds OK to you - and you after all are who it needs to please - then leave them alone.

The small tubes, 12AX7/7025 and so on, can last for decades. We replace them when they go bad. Otherwise they don;t wear out like the power tubes do. Like the headlights on your car, you don;t change them unless they quit working. You don;t change them because they are five years old or because someone likes a different brand better.

Thanks. I think the guy was saying that some newer types would give it a cleaner sound at higher volume. Like I say, I know nothing about tubes. He probably doesn't know much more. The ones in it were replaced a couple of years ago. For my 2 cents, it sounds good, just seems to push it when I dig in sometimes. I tend to get heavy handed on occasion, and we get down on it sometimes at church. Using the acoustic electric seems to smooth it out a little; not as hot. I'm not worried about it. Makes for a real 'bluesy/soulful' feel. Thanks for the input. BennyB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.