Feedback on my Cajón/stool/speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided that I want to build 2 stools the size of Cajóns. Don't know why but I believe that the standard(?) size of Cajóns (450x300x300mm) is the perfect size for a stool. The plan is to use it in my small apartment as a place for sitting and speakers. My original idea was to put speakers in the walls of the stool and use the acoustics of the box, but I realized it was a bit hard to do all the calculations. The impression I got was also that if it is not perfect, it will sound like crap... And the fact that I wanted it compact and wireless (bluetooth) made it all a bit difficult. But maybe I'm wrong?

But until someone disproves me I have done it the easy way and simply put a fabric made speakers inside the boxes and drilled some holes. But I have some questions. I have posted a link to an imgur-album with screenshots/drawings of the first draft.

Cajon_speaker_version 1 - Imgur

So, first question. I am assuming 12mm plywood would work fine as shell, is that a good decision?

Will I need to put some acoustic insulation inside to prevent it from sounding bad?

The front will be 12mm plywood with drilled holes, will those I have on the drawing be sufficient or should I replace it with something else?

Would it require a lot more to instead use the entire box as a speaker instead of this easy-mode?

I would really appreciate all feedback from anyone who has some knowledge about building speakers and acoustics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.