Feedback - Choke loaded Zen w. input buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm currently building a modified Zen that is intended to drive my midrange and tweeters using some parts found in old battery chargers. I need some feedback before I proceed with a PCB for the amplifier (no, I don't like P2P :)).

I have chosen to connect the speaker directly across the inductor because of its low resistance, which also saves me some money on a big capacitor. I would also like to have the input DC-coupled but I am afraid that will mess up the bias to much if the source has some DC-offset.

Currently I am planning on using IRFP260 (!!!) as gain devices because I have loads of them and I hope this will not cause to much of a problem when using the input buffer.

This is the current schematic and I would like to know what you think about it (the powersupply is not shown, it consist of 1000VA 1x28VAC transformer + rectifier + 33000uF + 6mH + 22000uF),

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and this is how one channel will look (the heatsink will be cooled by a fan),

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards
Pelle

How much current flows in each of the output MOSFETs?
Choke loading can give *very* good results. I have a 50+50W that uses a source-follower and a chokes of 80mH 50mR and the speaker is connected directly across it. There is 325mV drop across the choke and therefore the speaker, but this is no problem at all.

Keep at it. :smash:

Circlomanen:
I will bring the amplifiers to my small apartment in Luleå tomorrow and there I can make the PCBs. So hopefully in a week or so I will be able to test them.

Circlotron:
I've simulated with about 1.4 amps per mosfet giving about 50 watt each. They will be cooled by a fan so I hope this will work.

-Pelle

Thank you for your kind words! :) I have done the PCB-layout today and will etch them as soon as I can.
I will get back to you when I have done some preliminary testings.

-Pelle

This is how the PCBs will look (50x37 mm and 25x37mm),

edit:
Morgan: Nice to see some people not far from home that has the right interests! :D I'm from Vännäsby originally and I suspect you know where that is. :)

Pelle:
'Morgan: Nice to see some people not far from home that has the right interests! I'm from Vännäsby originally and I suspect you know where that is. '

Indeed I do. And I forgot to say that I like you innovative breadboard design, esp. the transformer covers! I'm also fond of using oak board pieces for prototypes, etc., in "open" designs. Much less messy than cutting metal in the "reseach kitchen"!

Morgan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.