Feature request: notification when someone uses your screen name

I noticed that in a post one can start typing a username of someone who has posted in the thread earlier, and the forum software pops up the name and you can click on it. When the post is posted, that name is shown in bold. I can't show that there because only my post exists so far in this thread and there are no other contributors. But obviously the forum software recognizes this use of a username in a thread.

The mods have requested that we do not quote too many posts to reduce bloat in the forums. Quoting a username is a nice way to shout out to that member without having to quote a post.

What I would like to see is that when someone uses my name like that, I get a notification. That features does not seem to exist AFAIK but I think it would be very handy and would help to track responses that are targeting me (the same goes for any other user). Is that a feature that the mods can enable or create?

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I found that most guys who tell your name without quoting what made them adress you, not all of them though, do it in a disrespectful way out of pure lazyness or contempt so you should simply ignore them... Quoting some of your replies should be the right option for anyone. Some quote you , but not using the Quote action, instead by copying some of your text and reply to it as if it wasn't your text.That's just yo tell you they did it out of their big heart for you...and looking to see if you reply back so that they prove how dependent you are of their opinions...
Just ignore everyone quoting your name and nothing else, or just some of your content without your name attached.This is just weaponized forum grammar...

Hmmm, interesting. I DID just get a notification from your post above. But for example from this post I did not get a notification:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/purifi-drivers-for-open-baffle.390740/post-7247747
The author is asking me a question directly, but unless I opened the thread and read that particular post I would not have known...

I will pay more attention and see if there are any further examples of me NOT getting the notification.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Charlie, you don't have a star attached to your name...maybe you need to pay for that service.
Little by little, I get convinced that if you really wanna tell something to someone you better choose the private messaging system...some just use this forum to show off.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
At the moment it's up to the users to use the @ sign. It's easy and works well. Obviously quoting someone also sends a notification.
I don't know if Jason would be interested in writing a plugin that would look for user names in plain text and send a notice.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am using a relatively uncommon name @drea_wooga_booga_tarquin_ftang_ole_biscuit_barrel to demonstrate the feature. Brave browser on windows.

See attached image

_

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 50
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
This feature was exists and is a standard part of XenForo. If you didn’t get a notification that can be looked into. I’m not sure the exact logic XF might have regards avoiding over spamming people.

@Pano you have to pause a moment after typing the @ and a partial name. But pretty sure that’s just a helper. The effect is the same whether you see the drop-down or not.

Reactions: 1 user