FE206 vs W8-1808

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll bet they sound good. I heard the originals at RMAF and like them very much.
The smaller ones with 2 Morel 12" and a Morel mid/tweet did better them though.

I was very curious about the panel gaps. It seems like they would be a cause for
losses of bass/midbass.

I heard an Existence Erotic (bad name, I know) speaker system from Finland that used a
6.5" Tangband and like them very well too.

Since you are active, maybe try just the bottom woofer and see if that does not clean up the mids. Maybe come carboard in a 2" strip on the back on just one side in the area of the Tangband to smooth out the response of that driver.

A very small inductor on the Tangband would get rid of the peak from 10K on up and I believe make the driver smoother without losing extension

Congrats on your new system..

I hope you do not mind my suggestions.

Don't mind at all! Thank you for your suggestions.:up:

Thing is, I don't need to clean the mids in my system. The Tangbands start at 120hz and the alpha's are cut of at 150hz. My active filter compensates for the dipole loss at the LF of both woofers and full range (adjustable), so the up of the Tangbands is less pronounced in combination with the boosted bass and mid bass. Might try the cardboard though. Would some Ikea cork work as well?

I don't think the panel gaps are big enough to make a real difference. Sure gives these OB speakers a bit more WAF.

The not so clean mids are more of an issue with the passive version bought from PAP. I have the luxury to compare them almost one on one... Mind you, they still sound good. Just not as clean as my active version. Allthough another friend who I rate high when it comes to hifi thought the difference is 'rather dramatic'.

Think that the Morel version would sound better as this version has a more sophisticated passive filter and the woofers are probably better in playing mid bass and mids.

Last edited:
That exactly what my impresion was with PAP passive filter for trio15TB 180-500hz region lost clarity and is muddy , some says that version has more "body" but unfortunatelly the loss of resolution is very high, and thats simply due to cut at 400hz for alphas, they just dont perform well beyond 250hz.

Needless to say, passive systems will never win with active, if application is done well enough IMO.

heavent seen project using 12" morel I thought it was a 10" instead...

my mistake I thought I ve seen somewhere new Tang Band W8-2145 for 60 euro :)) but it looks like its 130euro which is still nearly 2x cheaper than older W8 1808.

Can anyone describe main differences sound-wise between those 2?

MickRS If someone asks for advice and gets a good answer, the giver is a genius.
If someone does not ask for advice and gets a good answer, the giver is an idiot.

I am an idiot.

Try chamfering the driver hole for the Tangband to release the rear wave. Some rubber
washers in between the frame and the panels? Something like this on the back of the panels: Frost King E/O 12 in. x 15 ft. Self-Stick Foam/Foil Duct Insulation-FV516 - The Home Depot (way cheaper than dynamat and works well). Felt on top of that to absorb sound coming off the rear wall back toward the speakers. Sreten advises a resistor shorted across the terminals of the Alpha to damp it
(make the bass tighter). Let me know if you try any of this. I know, when you have something so good you just want to listen to it and not mess itup. Good on you.

The gaps add lightness to this design. In will cover them sometime and have a listen. The same goes for the centre placement of the Tang Band: It just makes it look better. I did simulate different positions and offset is better tbh. But off axis the difference is less.

I do think this design is one of the few OB designs that SWMBO will accept...:D Certainly in a European home which on average is a bit smaller than in the US.

But first I have to finish the painting. There are six layers now. I hope that with one or two more I can start polishing to piano gloss:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.