FE-85 final report

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was not happy with my first attempt to use the FE-85's as full-range desktops, so I got a bot more serious with them. In the narrow boxes, they just had too much problems with the distraction ripple and overall balance.

So:
New baffle centering the driver. Yup, centered. This narrowed the Q of the first ripple so a notch could handle it easier. Went from 1/2 to 3/4 radius on the baffle. I found they were tuned too high, so correction of the port gave me 10 Hz back for an honest measured 90Hz F3. I gave it just a bit of a hump before rolloff for balance. BSC wound up as 356mH and 6.3 Ohms, followed by a parallel notch of 350m, 15u and 12 Ohms. It still has a tad of a peak at 1K, but this is enough for my desktops.

Oh yea, these were the drivers where I doped the dustcaps with artist glypt which killed several breakup modes.

A lot of work for $12 drivers, but the results are quite usable. So, I had a set of some unknown car 1/2 inch tweeters. What the heck, this is a cheapo-build. Just a series cap for 5K and they did add just a bit of high end detail. Not really needed for a desktop that does bings and bongs, with an occasional lecture, but I had them. "Super-tweeter" I guess as the 85's are full range. Free.
 
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.