Favourite Curry / Spicy food recipes

Ah, I thought so...
From Rajasthan?
In some communities, most of the ladies are vegetarian, the men and children are carnivorous, so I would find it odd that your wife is vegetarian.
Some families have 3 to 4 carnivorous main meals a week, the others are vegan. Mains means lunch and dinner. Meat for breakfast is unusual, though eggs are common.

Normal here...

My wife would add a few drops of lemon juice to boiled full fat milk at about 60 degrees, it would curdle.
High fat milk is important.
The water from the curds can be used in roti or puri dough, nice if you know how to use it.
Or discard it, maybe flowers like it.

Then she would filter the curds through a muslin cloth to get Paneer, which needs the curds to be dried a bit, then set.
Much better than most available in the market.

I have tried a few Chillies towards the top but have to admit defeat by the very hottest

Attachments

• spices.jpg
    spices.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 112
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The entire extended family are vegetarian*. However I did persuade my wife to use eggs in cooking that requires it and allow me to feed them to the children.

We use greek yoghurt in the Roti dough as it's readily available and have not yet tried home made paneer.

* As can be seen here The myth of the Indian vegetarian nation - BBC News studies suggest vegetarianism is no where near as common as one might think. But for me giving up meat was a small price to pay.

Chicken Pal was the macho test when I was young, pure masochism.

Yesterday I had one of my usual lunches - pate forestiere on toast with my usual enormous salad, I am a salad junkie and as always I did what I said I would stop doing - cutting up very small pieces of chillie which I add to the salad very pretty. Now and then my favourite chillies from the Antilles have one that is easily the same strength as a Scotch Bonnet - it burned going in and burned going out. Eating raw chillies is not clever and I must stop adding them to salads.

I always make sure to get rid of the seeds, cooked chillies are still hot but they don't do the damage that uncooked ones do. I had a friend of nearly 30 years, Elias from Ghana and he used to cook with Scotch Bonnets, sadly he died at 50 from colon cancer. This cancer is virtually unknown in Africa and it's all about diet.

He came to England when he was 21 and it was only after living in the UK for two years that one day he felt a pain in his teeth, something he had never experienced back home in Ghana where everyone used a sliver of hardwood to clean between the teeth - it was the crap European diet that caused his tooth decay and his colon cancer.

We were going to go to Denmark where we could buy a Range Rover for half the price of that in the UK. Drive it down through Spain into Morocco and on down to Ghana where we could sell it and make enough to build a nice house each (we were both builders) on the coast at Sekondi Tekoradi and have enough money to start an import/export business. Sod's Law kicked in and his old childhood friend Gerry Rawlings made a revolution and Elias said it would be better to wait to see how things panned out, so we never went. Ghanaian food is great and the women are gorgeous, I don't think I would ever have come back - so it goes.

My mistake: so I would find it odd that your wife is vegetarian.
Should have read "I would not find it odd that your wife is a vegetarian"
Some communities are devotees of Lord Krishna, so vegetarian, and so are followers of the Jain religion.
The per capita consumption of meat here is only about 500 grams weekly on the average, the average in the USA is nearer 3 kilos...

Some Hindus believe that meat and spices excite the passions and make you hot tempered, so to be avoided.
Some communities, especially Jains, will not eat anything that grows underground (carrots, onions, potato, ginger. garlic etc.).
Some even refuse to eat in restaurants where meat is cooked in the same kitchen, so in Gujarat it is a big task to find an average restaurant (not 5 star hotel) that serves carnivores.

But our country is about 70% carnivorous. And we have the cuisine to prove it...

Naresh,
the Antilles is very similar to a lot of the Caribbean ones but not so masochistic and it has a sweetish flavour, not surprising because of course the Antilles are in the Caribbean.

There is a UK company Sharwoods that makes some excellent curry sauces and for me the standout one is Jalfrezi, I still have two jars left that are part of food stash that a friend brought over from the UK 4 years ago. I always add some chopped coriander - what a fantastic herb this is, completely different in taste from the seeds.

When you think how bad the diet was of Europeans, Celts and Aryans - meat and bread, no wonder they had so many health problems. I'm amazed that at the time the English deliberately created the great famine in Ireland, the Gaels never took advantage of the excellent bounty of fish both in the rivers and in the sea.

The fall of the great civilisation of Al-Andaluz was a tragedy not only for the Arab and Jewish Semites but for Europe as a whole. The universities 4 centuries ahead of anything in northern barbarian Europe and the great cuisine the Semites brought with them from North Africa. If I had access to a time machine then 10th century Al-Andaluz is one place I would love to visit. Imagine entering Granada and getting permission to wander around the Alhambra. The colours, the wonderful smells of the cooking, the universities so far ahead in virtually everything and the women - no veils, no hijab - ah to dream. The hijab is not mentioned in the Koran because it was 14th century Turks jealous of the authority of the women who created this abomination.

I have a book of traditional Granada recipes, all based upon Semitic recipes, you will never see a single one on offer in the province of Granada it's chips with everything, very different from the late 60s when I first went there.

The hijab is an Arabic thing which actually predates the Qu'ran.
But because Arabia is home to Mecca and Medina plus that Saudi Arabia's oil money finances Qu'ran schools everywhere their extremist Wahhabism has taken hold and is spreading.
If you look at photos from muslim countries prior to the '60s/'70s nearly none of the women wear it and only some wear simple headscarves.

In fact, a lot of knowledge about the Aryans, from the steppes of Central Asia, is distorted. Some for propaganda reasons by supremacists.

But at that time, farming, and the domestication of animals, was in its early stages I think, and people were mostly nomadic, and ate what grew wild, and hunted wild animals.
Farming meant a fixed location, and the establishment of villages. And civilization as we know it

Let us stay out of religion and politics, forum rules. bear that in mind.

Sharwoods
You should give the Patak's brand a try.
I much prefer their pastes and pickles.
Above 90% of the German restaurants I'd say.
Especially like the Jalfrezi and Madras paste and am addicted to their brinjal pickle.
The chili pickle is also very good, just like the lime and mango pickle although the last two are a little too hot for me.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know where to start to identify my favourites - I love spice, I eat it often and with most dishes. I haven't tried it with ice cream yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Some categories of note for me include

American Chilli - ground beef & pork with black beans, corn etc. - large dry red chillies. TexMex can be good too but you have to know where to go, it's not easily found outside the South and my experience is limited to California.

Chinese - many excellent hot dishes, Hot Pot, Fish baked in chilli-oil, pulled-lamb with spice (a kind of Chinese-Arabic food I had in Western China); the addition of Szechuan pepper corns can be a key differentiator

Indian - everything is fantastic, especially in the UK, at one point in my life I thought I'd be happy if I were only able to eat Indian food for the rest of my days. But then I discovered good Chinese food etc. The food I had in Rajasthan and New Delhi was good but different from what I was raised on.

African - West coast has great hot food. I had a room mate in Oxford once, from Nigeria, used to eat red hot chilli peppers with neat Scotch. Make no mistake, these people eat some of the hottest dishes on earth. His 4th wife would sometimes visit and cook fish head soup, hot enough to literally etch the aluminum saucepan to a shiny finish!!

Africa - North & East - Ethiopian food is good, curry on Injera bread is awesome, tried it in New York first time, and it's not easy to find.

SE Asia - sublime array of options! I did a food tour of Malaysia and Borneo with the Asian side of my extended family in 2019, you simply can not believe how good is the food in this part of the world !

Europe - Hungarian Goulash in Budapest is very tasty (I think it was in Pest I tried it) but not that hot and there's Spain, with fried chilli & prawns, I think they call it Pil Pil ?

Chocolate - a tradition from S. America. I've found a supplier in Toronto (Chocosol) who make a traditional spiced drinking chocolate that is the best that I know of.

Home cooking - very few, if any, of the pastes in jars and other things on offer in supermarkets has turned out to be worth any spit. The best curry paste I've had was called 'A1' bought from Malaysia.

I've tried a lot of spicy food, I love it all. Still hoping to come across new dishes yet to be tasted!

Last edited:
Mine's a Dupiaza or Jalfrezi

Don't do mango chutney, or chilli lime, horrid stuff.

But like I'm not as cultured as above :D

A nice Nasi Goreng is banging. Or Dragon soup.

Also Spanish, Greek, some Moroccan, Turkish and Creole, Caribbean cooking are things I love. Curry is good too :)

As well as some English/British/Viking foods. Good Haggis is scrumpy. Bad Haggis is just bad. A bit like Perogi. Or any dish to be fair.

Last edited:
Anybody with an Indian wife / partner / girlfriend / friend?
My wife is from Russia, but my daughter from India...

I must admit I seldom eat Indian food, but when I prepare something it most often is Rasedar jhinga.
A period when I often travelled to Stockholm, Sweden I had Bharta at a Pakistani restaurant and ordered it HOT.

Lately we have occassionally prepared Khombi Tarkari and Gajar, Matar Aure Aloo Ki Bhaji, Jinga Machee and Khatti Bhaji served with Nimboo Kay Chawal.
(Hope the names made sense as I have the names just in Swedish too)

Else, when it comes to hot food we go for Schrimp Dianne or a dish with "sea fruits" that are hastily cooked in the oven with loads of olive oil, hot chili pepper, garlic and parsley. Served with bread to soak up the tasty oil.

Last edited:
interesting videos.

My attempt at BIR gravy to be used for Shrimp Curry tomorrow night.

I noticed his teaspoons were not USA "Teaspoons" rather heaping tea spoons. I estimated one teaspoon at 2/3 "Teaspoon".

When I made mine I cut back to USA Teaspoon measures which put the spices mild for the first pass.

Attachments

• BIR_Gravy.jpg
    BIR_Gravy.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 84
Khombi Tarkari and Gajar = Mushrooms in gravy with Carrots
Matar Aur Aaloo ki Bhaji = Peas and potatoes, mostly in tomato based curry
Jhinga Machhee = Prawns and Fish
Khatti Bhaji = Sour Vegetables or Tangy (lemon-ish) Vegetables
Nimbu ke Chawal = Lemon Rice

Pulao is Rice with something added and cooked, less loaded than biryani with whatever is added.
Chole or Chhole = Chick Peas, as such a thick gravy and mostly mildly spicy. In fact they are used in Hummus as well.

Interesting.

Last edited: