FAST / WAW with a SB acoustics - which cone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would consider this SB driver:

SB Acoustics :: 6" SB17NBAC35-4

Heard it a week ago, and it plays VERY smooth, open and no problem going down to 30-35 Hz - It was crossed around 2K Hz.

I currently own a pair of SB17MFC35-4 and these have also no issues going to 35 Hz in a 16 Liter cabinet (basreflex)

That's the one I am eyeing. The silver coloured is ugly... I think it should be similar to yours...

Oon

main_chart.jpg

Interactive Frequency Chart - Independent Recording Network

A subwoofer that doesn’t do midbass? Given that midbass is definded as 40-80 Hz i think it would be hard to find one that doesn’t cover this band.

The CSS SDX10 goes up pretty high — into the mid 100s at least, maybe usable into the high 100s.

dave
I think what Michael meant and I agree with him is subwoofer do midbass poorly especially above a 100Hz. It's like having a normal monitor speaker that goes down to 50Hz and you decide to cross at 200Hz to a huge 15 inch subwoofer with a high pass for your speaker.

The bass will sound a bit slow and there would be a lack of punch and definition. I attribute it to the heavy cones of the subwoofer... A 15 inch subwoofer cone can be almost 200grams of Mms. Whereas a good 4 inch is only about 4gms... The motor force of the 15inch is a bit higher but not by much.

Too much difference in weight.

Oon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.