• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Fake Silmic II capacitor ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I would like to ask for some help .
I used many different value Silmic II capacitors but all had brown sleeve in gold letters .
I just purchased from Ebay 100uF 63V Silmic II and it has black sleeve with gold lettering .:rolleyes:
Unfortunately I didn't found at Parts Connexion 63V 100uF Silmic II .
Did someone ever purchased Silmic II in black sleeve???
Please let me know .
If I mount them I can recognise the sound but after I'm unable to return them .
Thank you very much .

Greetings

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,496
Hello
You right , these is fake Silmic . I just look up at the Silmic side !
To return it with tracking number it cost me almost as much how much I paid for the 4PC Silmic !:rolleyes:
All I can do I will leave negative to the guy and warn the people not to buy these fake Silmic II capacitors .:mad:
Here is what I found about the Silmic II on their site .

Elna Silmic (ROS Series) & Silmic II (RFS Series) Electrolytic Capacitors
High-grade Silk fiber capacitors for Audio.
The SILMIC series are Elna's highest grade audio capacitors that exhibit superior acoustic characteristics. An entirely new type of electrolytic separating paper is used, containing silk fibers. The extreme softness of silk can mitigate vibrational energy (generated by the electrodes, by external vibrations and by electromagnetic fields). Due to it's new electrolytic and foil design the signal propagation speed has increased (the ESR is reduced) and a more powerful, yet-mellow, sound is possible than before. When these capacitors were subjected to aural evaluations, the high range peak and mid range roughness were reduced substantially. Also, the low range richness and power were increased in the obtained high-quality sound.
Capacitance Values: 0.47uF - 6800uF
Voltage Values: 6.3Vdc - 100Vdc

Technical specifications:
temperature range: -40 to +85 degrees C
tolerance at 20 degree C, 120Hz: 20%
endurance at 85 degree C: 1000hrs
oxygen free copper leads
Red gloss sleeve with gold markings (non-ROHS)
brown matt sleeve with silver markings (ROHS)

Last edited:
All I can do I will leave negative to the guy and warn the people not to buy these fake Silmic II capacitors .:mad:
Ooops, sorry to hear about this :(

You could let us know who to avoid though, no point in other people making the same error ;) If they are selling one type of fake goods then there may well be a good deal more that's being sold by the same ebayer that is also fake :eek:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You have not done your due diligence to determine if these are fake. Contact ELNA and get confirmation.

I agree, but in general would add that eBay is a pretty risky place to get certain types of boutique audiophile parts like "exotic" electrolytics due to the issue of counterfeiting.

Note that Elna lists many RoHS types as having either black or brown sleeves and white lettering. I was not able to find the specifics on the Silmic in a quick search, but yours might be genuine. (I buy all of mine from Elna approved distributors.)

Hello
Yes I purchased from jims audio !
I mounted in my PC board , 100% these not Silmic II capacitor !
One side the amplifier I have brown Silmic , the sound total different .
Much deeper bass , more control over the speaker , more authority .
These sound much thinner , somehow has a bit more detail due to the missing bass .
I used close to hundred of Silmic II , I recognize the sound right away .
These huge difference between the two capacitor is not because one is used 100 hours another new !!
Please do not buy these capacitor , you waste your money .
Greets

Hello
Please read post #6 that from the official Elna site !I have to say these not bad capacitor but not Silmic that sure !
Some cheaper Elna got new sleeve .
Even the bottom where the two leads come out not 100% like the Sillmic .
I will use it a couple day , it is not worth to return it . I loose all my money on the postage with tracking number .
Greets

Hello
I ask Parts Connexion , they sell Silmic many years !
These is the answer I got from them !:)

Answer

That is old stock...our stock is the ONLY way they make them now.....they changed to plain heat shrink jackets, to save money.....less types of inventory to keep.

Those other caps are a minimum of 5 years old...maybe 10.
Sincerely,

Chris Johnson, President

PARTS CONNEXION
5109 Harvester Road
Unit B2
Burlington, Ontario
CANADA L7L 5Y4

So jims audio say on the Ebay these is less than one year product .
It is a big lie !
He will get the feedback he deserve .
I will buy from Parts Connexion 100V type , not cheap but better than fake (garbage) capacitor !
I wrote to jims audio to .
I wait on his answer after he get my feedback .
Thanks guys for the help .
The sound more like Elna Cerafine (the black sleeve)
The red was a good audio capacitor !

Greetings

:)

Last edited:
Hello
I just wrote to ELNA AMERICA, INC.
I don't know if they will answer or not .
Not a bad sounding capacitor but I'm sure 100% these not Elna Silmic II .
It may be Elna Cerafine (the black sleeve ) the red was one of my favorite but no longer in production .
I have at least 20PC 100uF Silmic but all 50V , I need 4PC 63V that is why I purchased these .
They sound total different than the 100uF 50V Silmic
Thinner sound ,less bass ,less authority , but more life , more detail at the mid and high ...
These not 100% fake capacitor , some cheaper exotic parts got new sleeve !
I will burn it a couple days , I will see . May be I order 4PC from Parts Connexion .
They have but 100V type .
Greets

If it is old stock, it's not fake. Maybe capacitors get better with age (up to a point) like wine? You may have quite a find there! Mouser has silmic ii, but pricey in the larger values.

He is claiming 2009-2010, so it may be a dishonest listing. Wait to hear from Elna, I have contacted Panasonic regarding fakes and got an answer.

Last edited:
Hello
To replace the brown Silmic these would be a big step back . Even do it not bad but the amplifier was put together with the brown Silmic capacitors .
I just want to use a better bigger transformer which 39-0-39V sec. .So the 50VDC capacitor it would be under rated .
I need min. 63V.
Any way if he is a dishonest person he should get the feedback for that .
I wait one or two day for his answer if not he will get what he deserve .
He sell orig Silmic to , if I could see the pictures clearly these caps are black I would never buy them .
If you look at his listing the second picture look like the caps are brown .
The truth is not bad capacitor but very different when I com pair one side to another .
One side brown Silmic another side these (what ever it is )
Parts Connexion has 100uF but only 100V .

Greets

Hello
It is possible , or may be in China:D
All I can say these not a regular Elna capacitor .
But there is a huge difference between the brown with gold letters Silmic and the black with gold letters .
I can hear it ..But after couple hour burning it get better or my ear got used to it ?
Seriously not bad capacitor , right now I still I prefer the brown sleeve Silmic . Has better bass but the black more detailed in the mid section and the highs are better to .
But who knows , 100 hour burning time .:cool:
Also I sow today Silmic in green sleeve :eek:
I will see if the brown still sound better I will purchase 4PC from Parts Connexion .
Only problem they have only 100Volt type and it cost $5 with tax .Plus shipping .
All afternoon I run my amplifier , some improvement I can hear when I switch back to the another side (brown type) .
Probably orig (new) and we just never met with Silmic in black sleeve ?
Certainly better than the reg. Elna .
To take some another type exotic Elna and change the sleeve to Silmic it will have not much profit on them !
But lot of miracle happen in China , in some factory people work a couple bucks all day .
Greetings

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.