failing transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I wonder if I could ask a question and receive an answer.

I live in Korea, must use a transformer to use my GE washer/dryer.

I have used the setup/equipment successfully for two years now, though the transformer looks to be about 10 years old.

I have been on vacation for two weeks, haven’t used the washer for obvious reasons.

When I turned on the transformer yesterday to wash clothes the C/B in the house tripped. The main.

If I leave the c/b off used on the circuit my transformer was plugged in to all is well.

If I simply plug in the transformer, even with it off, the C/B pops.

I disconnected the washer and plugged in only the transformer and the c/b will still pop.

Question would be; is this unusual?

There is not a fuse on the transformer.

I took the cover off, no burn marks. I have an ohm meter, but do not know where to check for arcing.

All of my transformers show continuity when off, when I place the leads in the receptacle slots for the plug blades.

Can you assist me in determining if age killed this beast? Humidity is very high here this time of year.

Many thanks for the time,

Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.