Factoring cartridge response into RIAA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow - very cool!

I’m not much of a mechanical guy (all thumbs if you get my drift) but I can appreciate a nice bit of engineering.

Hi Bonsai,
Your Powerpoint presentation on curing hum is absolutely the best exposition ever! I used it on a couple of power amps (using LM3886 modules) and they are beautifully quiet. I think the Akitika amps (very highly regarded by Stereophile) use the same approach.
I'm behaving like an unsupervised kid in a candy store with this forced stay at home period. I have so many "in-progress" projects that it is difficult to focus. And, like the kid, I'm also gaining weight!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
On a new MC/MM pre I am working on I’ve provided switched resistive loading to flatten out the response. It’s amazing how much peaking you can get with a standard 47 k load.

If you can have an option for no additional load C and print on the case what the input C is you will get a gold star from me. In many cases the tonearm cable has more than enough capacitance already!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The arm is very clever! Thanks for sharing, and last night I was off line for the entire evening watching movies so I missed it.. :D

Bill raises an important point, my few investigations seemed to point mostly at excessive loading capacitance as being a common problem. A low capacitance input stage seems de rigeur with most MM and many MI cartridge types, and does not hurt where SUTs are concerned - particularly higher ratio transformers. Think about the capacitance reflected back to the cartridge using an SUT which is C x N^2 of all of pre-amp input capacitance (strays + inter-electrode or Ceb and C miller) and transformer interwinding and winding to core capacitances.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> excessive loading capacitance as being a common problem.

Large capacitance was unavoidable with long cheap cables and high-Mu triodes. The C had to be designed into the total system.

Today we can make C about zero. The flip-side is that we should increase R about as much as we reduced C. Keep the R*C product about the same.

So if 47k+300pFd is specced, but 100pFd is possible, try it with 141k (+/-10%). 30p suggests 470k. And the off-vinyl noise level may drop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.