F5 Turbo Builders Thread

@McQuaide - If those are VTI racks (If they are, I have the same ones in a different color scheme) - you'd need to lift the rack just a wee bit for a 5U with the "isolation feet" to tuck it under the bar, but there's clearance. I have run the 5Us in the bottom slots and in "open air" on top. I get about a 4C difference from "open air" to the bottom. With the bias set normally on a F4, F5, Aleph J, SissySIT, and M2x - I've never approached 55C on the sinks - internal temps seem fine. I set the F5 to just a shade over 1A8 last week, and it's been in the rack for quite a while. My room stays around 70F year round. Whether it's a good idea or not... I leave my amps on pretty much all the time unless I'm out of town.

So... you might be just fine in PA. If you want it the coolest... then use a babysitter or put it on the top rack as others have said. Just thought I'd chime in since I think we have the same racks. YMMV based on the amps and the bias. F5T may run quite a bit warmer.

Yes that is a VTI BL-304 rack, it's good to know the 5U will fit in the bottom. That's an F5 biased at 1.5A in there now and there are no heat issues. I suppose I could try an F5T down there and see what the temp difference is vs. running it in open air.

If I run it on the floor I thought I'd get another VTI bottom shelf to raise it a bit.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@McQuaide - We have the same family of rack. So, yes - if you have the 9" bottom rack, then you can just squeeze one in. I don't think the anti-vibration feet are all that wonderful IMHO, and if you install just the standard feet, you may gain even just a tad more clearance. See below for the fit with the anti-vibration feet. Current sink temp (stabilized) with the F5 at 1A8 is 47C in a 21C room. Enjoy!

IMG_1717.jpg

@McQuaide - We have the same family of rack. So, yes - if you have the 9" bottom rack, then you can just squeeze one in. I don't think the anti-vibration feet are all that wonderful IMHO, and if you install just the standard feet, you may gain even just a tad more clearance. See below for the fit with the anti-vibration feet. Current sink temp (stabilized) with the F5 at 1A8 is 47C in a 21C room. Enjoy!

View attachment 805532

That's a standard F5 biased at 1.8A or .85v? Mine runs at about 50c biased at .7v, in the 4U case.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hi Mark -

Yes. Standard F5. I wandered over to this thread after contemplating how to potentially try something with more current for 4ohm speakers. I'm just learning.

I think I understand your question - Yes. With my standard 0.47ohm resistors it's roughly 1A8 / 0V85 with a rail voltage of ~24V loaded, I get ~39 to 40W on the device. Still trying to get my arms around all the bias calcs for the various amps etc.

I did my set up originally at 1A5 / 0V7, and it was running ~43 or 44C if I recall correctly. I also use an el-cheapo laser thermometer off of Amazon, so I have no idea if my temps are accurate. I usually try to find the hottest spot on the direct opposite of the device.

If we have the same ambient... then it's kind of cool (see what I did there) to know how much additional cooling the 5U provides.

Hi Mark -

Yes. Standard F5. I wandered over to this thread after contemplating how to potentially try something with more current for 4ohm speakers. I'm just learning.

I think I understand your question - Yes. With my standard 0.47ohm resistors it's roughly 1A8 / 0V85 with a rail voltage of ~24V loaded, I get ~39 to 40W on the device. Still trying to get my arms around all the bias calcs for the various amps etc.

I did my set up originally at 1A5 / 0V7, and it was running ~43 or 44C if I recall correctly. I also use an el-cheapo laser thermometer off of Amazon, so I have no idea if my temps are accurate. I usually try to find the hottest spot on the direct opposite of the device.

If we have the same ambient... then it's kind of cool (see what I did there) to know how much additional cooling the 5U provides.

My room is around 22C and I use the same type of thermometer. I don't think I'll push it past the 50C I have now.

I was looking at these fans, maybe a couple of them would work on an F5T.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TYN3HD6/?coliid=I10B416D4Q7BIK&colid=27YEI70P4L5LZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

24v rails, original f5 feedback arrangement. Dual pair toshiba mosfet.

About a year ago I changed it to 32V rails, f5 v2 style but no jfet cascode.

I think I prefer the sound of the 24v rail version. But I need the headroom of the 32v rail version.

Basically I have had all iterations of f5 except v3. I have tried Fairchild, IRF and Toshiba outputs. To me, bias is the most important aspect in an f5.

I'm pretty set on my chassis design so I think I'll build the F5 instead of the turbo so I will reduce heat issues. I'm only driving my woofers with this amp and they are high efficiency so 25wpc should do.

What is the impedance of your woofer setup? What will the amp on the top end be? Those factors will help you decide on f5 vs f5t. Also, keep in mind the feedback network is different between the two. F5T sounds more relaxed and loose. F5 is tighter and livelier.