F5 power amplifier

M&M Metals

I have been in touch with M&M metals regarding this profile.

http://www.mmmetals.com/extrusions/drawings/MK62430.jpg

I have a few quotes for 7" high sections and I am hoping to arrange either a group buy or even a group discount if they are willing to work with us. Also, ebayer Barredboss found Here ( http://myworld.ebay.com/barrredboss/?_trksid=p3911.c0.m198 ) is looking into designing a 12" extrusion. I am encouraging him to come to our forum and work with us directly through the vendors section.

Nick

Hello everyone,

I finished my own F5 pcb layout based on Peters F4 pcb size and fet location. Since this is the first time I designed a board and have them professionally made I was hoping someone is willing to do a review of my design (specially the gerber files) before I have them made. It would be a shame if I ended up with a bunch of worthless boards. I've added the gerber files and diptrace file to the attached .zip file.

Help will be really appreciated!!

cheers,

c.

Attachments

• f5.zip
    26.2 KB · Views: 204
btw, this is what the pcb looks like right now

c.

Attachments

• pcb f5.jpg
    pcb f5.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,369
rhysh said:
Also, i see this amplifier requires 24v rails. Do you think i would get away with 25v capacitors, as they are half the cost of 63v, and a lot smaller in size...
NO!

what voltage appears on the output of the rectifiers if the mains voltage varies?
Here in the UK the tolerance is 216Vac to 254Vac. If you use a 230:18Vac transformer on the standard UK voltage it will measure ~18.8Vac when fully loaded.
On 254Vac it will measure ~19.9Vac when fully loaded. when unloaded these voltages will increase by the transformer regulation percentage. Big toroids can be as low as 3%, small EI can be as high as 30%. Find out the regulation of your transformer and adjust the output voltage assuming the PSU output fuses have blown and the caps are now charging up to the peak AC voltage going through the rectifiers.

Mains voltage variations can be surprisingly large and can overvoltage components if ignored. Measure and check, or easier, allow a margin on ratings for the variations that will occur.

BTW, electrolytics are available at many voltages between 25Vdc and 63Vdc, common available are 35V, 50V and less common 40V.

Finally, expect your PSU cost to be more than the cost of the amplifier and heatsinks.

rhysh said:
...Do you think i would get away with 25v capacitors...

You might, but only if you use well regulated power supply - but OTOH the voltage reg will cost you more than price difference between 25V and 35V or 40V caps. That's one of those "expensive savings" ...
:cannotbe:
Also, using components in "close to limit" area compromises reliability of the amp and makes the whole thing dangerous, so please think again ;)

AndrewT said:

NO!

what voltage appears on the output of the rectifiers if the mains voltage varies?
Here in the UK the tolerance is 216Vac to 254Vac. If you use a 230:18Vac transformer on the standard UK voltage it will measure ~18.8Vac when fully loaded.
On 254Vac it will measure ~19.9Vac when fully loaded. when unloaded these voltages will increase by the transformer regulation percentage. Big toroids can be as low as 3%, small EI can be as high as 30%. Find out the regulation of your transformer and adjust the output voltage assuming the PSU output fuses have blown and the caps are now charging up to the peak AC voltage going through the rectifiers.

Mains voltage variations can be surprisingly large and can overvoltage components if ignored. Measure and check, or easier, allow a margin on ratings for the variations that will occur.

BTW, electrolytics are available at many voltages between 25Vdc and 63Vdc, common available are 35V, 50V and less common 40V.

Finally, expect your PSU cost to be more than the cost of the amplifier and heatsinks.

Thankyou for the info, i have realised i can get the same part in 35V for not much more. I have decided on 2 x 100,000uf Rifa capacitors per rail, do you think this should be okay?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi all.
I am a bit confused regarding the best voltage for rails, I seem to remember Mr Pass saying 25v rails are minimum and any lower every volt makes a difference, but then everybody uses 18v secondaries which after rectifiers, voltage drop etc gives approx 23.5v rails. Why not use 20v secondaries or even 22v ?
What have I missed ?
Thanks.

jotom750 said:
Hi all.
I am a bit confused regarding the best voltage for rails, I seem to remember Mr Pass saying 25v rails are minimum and any lower every volt makes a difference, but then everybody uses 18v secondaries which after rectifiers, voltage drop etc gives approx 23.5v rails. Why not use 20v secondaries or even 22v ?
What have I missed ?
Thanks.

I don't think he said minimum of 25V. The amplifier works best with 24 volt rails. Try to get as close to 24V as possble. If the voltage is too high it will probably have to dissipate more heat, and may not sound the same.