F5 Ground Loop hum help please

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Interesting article , however I wouldn't know how to implement it on my F5.

I did put the 10r resistors at the rca jacks and it did help but did not totally remove the hum.

Is this not the "ground break" thermistor in the picture

The two to the left in the photo with your cap on the mains / transformer primary terminal block are there for inrush current limiting. Is there another thermistor that I don't see?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Is there a picture of the ground break some where ?

Firstwatt F5 amplifier v3 - diyAudio Guides

Step 14. It's not specifically mentioned as far as I can tell in the guide, but it's the thermistor running directly from the GND on the PSU board to chassis GND, and the guide has excellent photos.

There are a number of ways to work with this as you've seen. To be clear, I'm not saying this is best way or advocating that you switch from methodologies previously discussed / tried. I was just replying to mention that it's included in the PSU schematic for all First Watt PSUs (that I know about) as a standard method.

So I still can't eliminate this hum.
I installed the 10R resistors on the input return lines with little improvement.
I want to install the ground break mentioned earlier but just noticed that my power supply board is different from the one in the build guide.
Is there a spot here where I could connect the thermistor ?
Also as a side note I lifted the ground with a cheater plug with no improvement so I'm thinking that the thermistor won't help anyway ?
Looking at the pictures can you see any spots where I can make improvements that might eliminate the hum ?

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    907.6 KB · Views: 146
@rtate

tight twisting of the wires helps a lot though in my case not enough.
I 've had the same problem with my F5 and ended up with a new toroid with four secondarys
quasi dual mono - that did it.
but some have solved the problem with good wiring - tightly twist your supply wires.

from what I have read here in the past years - especially the F5 is prone to cross chanel hum.

keep trying and good luck
A.

I had the same problem and tightly twisted wires and moving the input wiring further away helped, but the biggest change was when I started turning the toroidal transformer (with the amp off and unplugged!). I found a position where the hum is barely audible with my ear on the speakers (96dB).

My build is very close to the guide (including the thermistor between PSU ground and the case).

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Twist those wires. Pic of an example attached. Different boards for this F5, but shown for concept.

Is your PSU ground to Chassis ground sorted out? I'm not familiar with the PSU boards in the earlier pictures. They appear to be a dedicated CRC per channel. What I didn't see was a CL60 to chassis ground. I don't know if that board would have one CL60 per channel to chassis or the channel to channel ground tied together (star?) and one CL60 to chassis. Refer to the F5 PSU Schematic - TH1 CL60.

Once those are sorted out, play with moving the wires around while listening for hum. See the "headphone trick" in the link in the post #34.

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 83
  • F5PSUschematic.jpg
    F5PSUschematic.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 101
Ok , I have ordered a thermistor to use with the power supply.

I would like to try the Hum Breaking resistors seen on page 36 of bonsai's presentation but I don't know where to install them on the F5 circuit boards ?

Also will try to clean up the wiring and maybe rotate the transformer.