F5 Article Headphone Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're right. I was checking the impact of the divider's cap on startup with very big caps.

Imo, 1000uF is more than enough for headphones. If you go bigger, you really need a muting relay to avoid too much current going through the headphones at start up.

If you want to use the amp with both headphones and speakers, I'd make two different outputs. One with 10.000uf for the speaker and one with 470u-1000u for headphones.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I gathered all the part for this amp (HPA), but have a question before i start putting it together.

Using a 24v 6.8A SMPS for each channel. Where is the single negative signal of the headphones returned? I was going to send it to chassis, but thought that might generate noise.

I looked at other HPA designs and they all use a single supply. I want this amp to drive speakers as well, so I like the extra power availability.

Also, since it's a power follower, am I correct in assuming that a resistor to reduce output is not necessary?

Thanks,

Vince

I gathered all the part for this amp (HPA), but have a question before i start putting it together.

Using a 24v 6.8A SMPS for each channel. Where is the single negative signal of the headphones returned? I was going to send it to chassis, but thought that might generate noise.

I looked at other HPA designs and they all use a single supply. I want this amp to drive speakers as well, so I like the extra power availability.

Also, since it's a power follower, am I correct in assuming that a resistor to reduce output is not necessary?

Thanks,

Vince

What’s wrong with using the psu ground?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Using a 24v 6.8A SMPS for each channel. Where is the single negative signal of the headphones returned?....I want this amp to drive speakers as well, so I like the extra power availability....

24v 6.8A ?? :warped: :warped:

The "power" is totally determined by the 16r resistor. 24V/16r = 1.5 Amps ABSOLUTE MAX. Biased for audio, 1.0 Amps per channel, 2A for both.

Making more current available to the resistor will NOT change the power you can get out of it.

Using a single 6A supply, it will loaf, the circuit gets all it can eat, and you avoid the question of how to connect two supplies.

Anyway if you wanted "power availability", you would not use this circuit and not with these values. The Resistance-Loaded power amplifier is most *efficient* with RL = 1.4 times load. For 8 Ohms, use 11 Ohm resistor. Bias to 16V-17V at Source. 3W/ch with 36W/ch dissipation.

If efficiency be dammed, Voltage is fixed, current is free, then you make RL "small". In small-signal work we might make RL 1/10th of the load being driven. Say 1 Ohm. HEAT rises faster than power output, but damm the efficiency. Ah, bias to about 13V, that's 13 Amps, bigger than your supply. Try 4 Ohms, a fair compromise. Bias a hair over 13V, 3.3A per channel, so two channels can sip from one 6.8A supply. (I'd round-up to 5 Ohms so the supply is not AT rating.) Now you have 7W/ch with 80 Watts dissipation/ch.

Headphone common return is not a big deal here. The amp has no voltage gain and the 16r RL swamps load current.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
PRR,

Sorry you had to write that all out.
I'm sure I used the wrong words when describing what I'm doing.
I chose a higher current SMPS so it would be under less stress.
The price difference between a 4A and a 6A is small.
I like dual-mono in one case.

Thanks for the explanation.

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Should there be a resistor at the gate of the mosfet in this schematic?
I put in a 100 ohm since it's often recommended.
Not getting any sound, but the voltages look OK.
Wondering if the gate resistor is causing it.
Did I make a voltage divider?

Attachments

• f5hp2.PNG
    f5hp2.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Got it working. I joined a point in the circuit that was not in the new schematic. The 5k works ok. Able to adjust voltage center point. Also left in the 100 ohm resistors on the gate.

Attachments

• F5HPA_00.jpg
    F5HPA_00.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Immediate impressions are very good. Despite my usual sloppy wiring, its quiet.
This little amp has a soul. The detail pours out of it. Its layered.
Solid imaging beyond the speaker edges , depth is pretty good.
Its driving an 87db sensitive 6 ohm speaker, but its hanging in there.
There's also the nice impact you get from power followers, like it has more power than spec'ed. There is a turn-on thump.

I can sense distortion in the highs, but it's because I'm driving it a bit hard and using rock music. Has a sweeter quality with jazz and softer music. Highs might be rolled off some but not really missing anything.

Using:
irfp150n mosfets
Mostly generic metal film resistors, except a couple PRP resistors.
Mills aluminum housed power resistors.
8200uF Elna caps that I had pulled from a reciever 25 years ago.
PVC copper wiring.
Generic input and output connectors
24v, 6.7A smps power supply.
Hifi2000 case

Don't sleep on this one if you want/need a good, simple amp you can build over a weekend or two. It's also a good intro into power followers with no exotic parts. Heat sinks are small yet its only warm to the touch. Oh yeah, and it's supposed to be a headphone amp. ;)

Thanks for the help!

Vince

Attachments

• F5hpa_01.jpg
    F5hpa_01.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hey Scott. I haven't switched them up yet, but it does have resemblance to the MoFo. The MoFo does have 4x the power. The F7 is something altogether different. I might prefer the MoFo to the F7, especially if I'm in the mode to be lied to and beguiled. ;)

Stop over for a listen to all three. :D

best,

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ran power measurements on the F5HPA and it puts out a little more than 1w RMS of clean power and 2w RMS with some distortion of the wave form on negative phase peak.

Not that I have ever purposefully listened to a 1w amp before, but being this is a first for me, 1w is a lot of power! :D

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I read PRR`s post #30 two or ten time. :)
Settled for an 8 ohm 100w resistor on the mosfet source.
Left it at 16v. I calculated 5w output.
The sound is still engaging, and now has a bit more headroom.
Still better with simpler music.
Runs hotter, but can hold hand to heatsink for more than 10 seconds.
It is winter...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.