Experienced Opinions Requested : Sub Design Choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I Hey, won't the cloth sag, by the way? Or do you mean like screens, not frames?

The panels are mostly decorative. I'm using metal picture frames that will get reinforced with a lit bit of wood and covered with closth. I'm hoping that the cloth can be stretched tight enough so that is does not sag. If speaker cloth is no good I'll go with a Solserene cloth from Owens Corning which is meant for ceilings.

I'm hoping that the cloth can be stretched tight enough so that is does not sag. If speaker cloth is no good I'll go with a Solserene cloth from Owens Corning which is meant for ceilings.

You're kidding, right? Sorry, I don't want to sound mean. But no cloth will hold any significant load without stretching. Even that rubberized sign stuff or Tyvek will bulge in an unsightly way. I think you would need a grid, like maybe those plastic grid things that cover office lights. Then cloth in front.

But I just can't conceive of the rock wool helping the acoustics much, and if you have a bunch of frames etc they can BUZZ which would be horrible.

Since your ceiling is tall, maybe it's not really worth worrying about. You can't affect the bass much like that, and since higher frequencies are directional I wouldn't expect much reflection from the ceiling. The money and effort would probably be better spent treating the rear wall etc.

Or if it's just for decoration, forget about the rock wool. If you want to attenuate sound, maybe just foam attached to the ceiling, and the cloth frames in front. If you like rock wool due to cost, maybe it can be suspended in nets or bags, not actually touching the cosmetic cloth. But the cloth will sag a bit over time and bulge in the middle, even without weight on it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.