• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice to see continued activity in this thread.... obviously one of my favorite for some odd (D5nf) reason.

It's quite interesting to see such extreme builds of amplifiers using such rare transmitter tubes. As much as I applaud the designer/builder of these unique pieces, I almost shudder to think about longer term usage if or when one of these obsolete tubes goes bad.

It would be nice to have a reliable supply of heavy-duty triodes like these available. I think more people would attempt to build them. They certainly display a much more radical vision than your typical 45, 2A3 or 300B amplifier.

Again, thanks Chris for keeping us updated with the Feastrex factory and the great pictures.

Regards, KM

Re: The answer to the question, Bronze Urushi vs. Aluminum

talawalla said:
Just in case you thought things weren't going forward... Just in case you thought it couldn't get any better... Sorry...They are...It is..

The bronze Urushi frame defines the term solid. Every sound has more integrity than you thought possible.

I know, more hyperbole from Joe. Whatever the opposite is... as far as you can go in terms of "that's an understatement"...You might get close. Definitely jaw hanging open territory.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

See Joe, we told you you'd like 'em... worth more than the money...

Updates from this end to follow soon folks, long overdue updates to follow... in some time. Orders take precedence.

Cheers,

-Clark

Hi fostrexfans! I envy you kindly! It is great!!!
cdwitmer said:
The folks at Feastrex are very gung-ho about the extreme high grade of custom-wound R-core transformers they have been getting recently.
The things we do for love!

-- Chris

Сustom-wound R-core? No, in photos usual factory products.
Only self-maintainedly coated with a varnish for a tree. At least leads of a primary winding standard.

I tried a little different R-core transformers. Not bad. But not found. Too, that C-core. Mass R-core is less.
Unfortunately, mine all some R-core transformers are extreme calculate, excessively...
For sound application. Too high induction. Too limiting, small values of diameter of a wire of windings.
Too major voltage drop on resistance of windings.
It is impossible to use on powers recommended by the producer...
Transformers are really strongly heated.
For example windings for filament of rectifiers 2x (5x3A) at transformer R26-79.
I use for feed of two rectifiers 83. And !!!
Value of a voltage on filament tor of tubes only 4.3V.
Transformers extremely strongly heat up. Buzz...
But already for a current 2A quite normally work.
And such history with windings of filament and for major the transformer, for example R80-36.
Well it is hardly better. But it is not optimum for a sound... And for other windings...
I bought from different factories... My experience.

Excuse for English)

BW, VU

Dear Vlauga,

There is no need to apologize about your English. If you give me a few bottles of beer, my English becomes the same. So the difference between a native speaker and a non-native speaker is (at most) a few bottles of beer. :D

Several companies in Japan manufacture r-core transformers. The best r-core transformers are made by a company called Phoenix. I'm not 100% certain, but I think all the Japanese companies have some r-core transformers that are made in China, even Phoenix. However, at least Phoenix has some transformers that are made here in Japan, and many of them are built-to-order according to the end user's required specifications. These are pretty expensive -- MUCH more expensive than any of the mass-produced r-core transformers. However, the clear concensus among users is that these transformers are definitely better than the others, even though they may be hard to distinguish from one another by their visual appearance.

There is one fellow who works at Phoenix, a Mr. Kanisawa, who also buys components from Phoenix but assembles the transformers with extreme care, so that the windings are perfectly balanced. These Kanisawa transformers are developing somewhat of a "cult" status among Japanese audiophiles, because their performance is much better than even Phoenix's best r-core transformers. I think their price is about double what the already expensive Phoenix r-core transformers cost. The people at Feastrex are starting to use these Kanisawa transformers wherever possible, because the sound is so greatly improved.

I don't have any direct experience with the Kanisawa transformers, so I can't comment, but I do know that a lot of people who have heard them agree that they do make the sound of most equipment significantly better.

-- Christopher Witmer

Thanks for the answer, mr. Christopher!
The matter is that I calculate power transformers for myself. Yes, the ideology, a material and production engineering R-core admire!
But industrial calculation R-core of transformers approaches for sound application a little. As usually industrial calculation is made from the least mass, the least cost of expenses.
Was possiblly Mr. Kanisawa calculate the transformers considering sound use.
Also I wish to tell, that there is special manufacturing methods for transformers a toroid for application in a sound. It also distinguishes more better quality of a sound. In dynamic basically.
Whether the Japanese community audiophiles uses direct feed of tube amplifiers from network AC? Without transformers. Love it). Also love monophase rectification AC. By the way, the physics of processes is quite explainable from last concept of world physics)

I love this thread. Was possiblly, in the future, I hope to get for myself Fostrex 5xx)

BW, VU

The translation was just fine, KM.

If anyone has a hankering for a custom-wound R-core transformer from Phoenix or Mr. Kani$awa, *perhaps* I may be able to look into it for you. (It depends in part on how busy I am with my own work at the time.) I have never done business with them, so I don't know exactly what's involved. (I do own some Phoenix custom-wound transformers but I bought them used.) Just rest assured the price will not be cheap! (Especially for the Kani$awa transformers.) A general idea of pricing for the Phoenix transformers can be gotten from one of the links below.

Here is some information about dimensions, weight, VA rating, etc. of various core sizes (representing their maximum capabilities, rather than what they handle on a regular basis):
http://www.pnxcorp.co.jp/sunpo.htm

The largest sizes at the bottom of the table, with lines through them, are not always available. Furthermore, most of what they sell to individual customers comes from the following more limited range of sizes:
http://www.pnxcorp.co.jp/ra/rasunpo.htm

Pricing guide for the above:
http://www.pnxcorp.co.jp/ra/kakaku.htm

Here is a PDF file of their "order form for individual customers":
http://www.pnxcorp.co.jp/ra/order.PDF

This is just my conjecture, but I expect they will refuse to do business directly with anyone who inquires from outside Japan, due to the language issues and perhaps due to lack of experience in exports.

-- Chris

Thanks for that info, Chris

Wow, Looking into those transformers is quite something. I was only there to listen to a few different PS tweaks at Feastrex but I am sure that: you get what you pay for. Cheers to Feastrex for continually raising the bar.

Staying tuned, and I am sure that some folks have already beat me to it in amp rolling, but in the coming weeks I will have an AMP15 with battery power (initially, but will later try transformers) to play with the Onmiyanmas... should be fun.

I've had my new D5nf's running OB for the last few weeks and think it's time to weith in.

First had them in some temporary 60cm wide mdf baffles, didnt sound too great compared to my current Bastanis Prometheus which I've been loving. Seemed a bit too much 200-300hz energy, 'n' consonants sounding a bit resonant.

So I build a 1" maple ply baffle, 44cm wide, to sit on top of some double ripole subs I was building. Much better, flatter FR to just bellow 200 where the ripoles took over.

Still wasnt happy, sounded a bit reigned in an lacking energy and extension and needing a fair bit of volume to come alive compared to the Prometheus. Was feeling a bit bleak and already starting to think of some more lit up Lowthers, but had a hunch my 2W Bottlead set amp (enhanced S.E.X) might not be playing as nice with the Festrex as it did with the Bastanis. So tonight I swapped in a 120W NAD C370, which I had been using to drive the ripole subs, and BINGO! So much more life, propulsion, excitement, openness, extension...Respect Mr. Teramoto!

Who would have though? What amps should I be looking at now I wonder, any ideas fellas? What tubes might gell? Do they generally need 16ohm taps? What SS amps might work, anyone with any First Watt experience.

Cheers all
Bevan

ps, the ripoles with dual Eminence Beta 15's per side is a winner too!

bvan said:

Who would have though? What amps should I be looking at now I wonder, any ideas fellas? What tubes might gell? Do they generally need 16ohm taps? What SS amps might work, anyone with any First Watt experience.

Cheers all
Bevan

Hi Bvan,

I've tried a few tube amps.....Feastrex do work better with 16 to 20 ohm tappings..

I haven't tried my D5nf in OB yet but my guess why your Bottlehead amp did work so well is because of the impedance output tappings.... Also it's possible that a higher power amp will do a better job controlling the D5nf especially in OB.. See if you can borrow more amps to try out....

Yeah, I built six of those SEX amps for Cain & Cain a while ago - they definitely do not have the "barrs" for Feastrex. Those 4 dollar OPTS (not to be a snob but they are what they are...) do actually have a 16 ohm tap on them. Might be worth a shot to rewire it. I have personally enjoyed this style of amplification for what it is, even through Feastrex, though it is not musically "correct."

As far as getting things to sound right, you are hitting much closer to the mark with an NAD over the SEX amp. The problem is less the efficiency of the speakers, and more one of the sheer transient reproductive capability of the Feastrex. For instance, even through an average 100db efficient driver, it takes a fair chunk of honest juice to get things truely well defined from top to bottom. I tend to think of a high efficiency speaker necessitating a certain smoothness of the power applied, rather than favoring low power above high power.

I have begun playing with solid state recently because the people I have had over to hear the Oniyanmas so far have generally been of the more solid state high end crowd, or are afraid of tube amps because of safety.

I personally believe that SS and tubes (depending on your camp) are both definitely viable for Feastrex, and can sound equally fabulous in their own ways. But alas, I am at heart a tube guy - so that is most of what I have around to play my speakers with.

Recently, I have been using mostly a modified vintage EL84 amplifier run on 16 ohm taps. It is nice sound. Romantic. Jimi Hendricks is AMAZING... (guitar amp tubes for guitar sound...).

I also was using a Charlize 2 for a while (Tripath 2020 chip based). After some serious soul searching about the power supply and input/output wiring styles and Heatsink I got that setup sounding pretty darned good until someone bought it, so hence my now the playing with the AMP6, AMP15, and likely in time the AMP4. I see these amps as less of an "end all, be all" and more as a good baseline for comparison of other amplification styles, and also to be able to hear deeper into the cabinet and speaker setup if only by virtue of being able to play them a bit louder than most tube amps can comfortably manage. My leather is nicely worked in now so I am not too afraid of putting a fair amount of power into them, within reason of course.

Also, I can say that the F5 is likely going to be a darned good sounding amp with anything. Perhaps including Feastrex(?) I am not sure. I heard one at RMAF 2008 with Lowthers and was floored by how well that matched up. Over time, I have heard the F1, F2, and then the F5. to my memory though, there might be a "smooth" one in there that I have not heard yet (F3 or F4). Might be worth a shot.

In the end though, I can only second Mr. William's comments that you might try borrowing some friend's amplifiers and see what happens.

Also, if memory serves correctly, Mr. Pass was getting 60hz from his D9nf in a very large OB when it was stand alone. Though for me it is only a casual curiousity (I am a box guy), I wonder what the 5 inchers would do if given a big enough baffle?

Ok, well good luck on the search,

-Clark

Thanks for the input guys.

Youre right about borrowing amps, this has taught me a valuable lesson about synergy. Certainly no more buying without hearing, or at least hearing good reports about the particular pairing.

It wasnt a question of output so much with the Bottlehead, I dont usually listen over 75db due to a case of hyperacusis in one ear, but rather something else, perhaps smooth power deliver as you say. I do have the Magnaquest nickel OPT in them, which I believe are pretty good, but dont have a 16ohm tap. Perhaps I could order one, but this might be a good excuse to try something different.

I'm wishing I hadnt recently gotten rid of my class-T Red Wine Audio Sig 30, might be a good pairing with the Feastrex?

cheers

B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.