ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

rossl said:

Just wondering...

Are you calculating all using all 4 registers, or just using the MSBs to get a close approximation?

I use only MSB 16-bits (I use 16-bit PIC). This gives me resolution I want - it shows exactly 44k1, 48.0k, 88k2, 96.0k, etc. I recommend you to simplify the equation.
Then there is a "problem" of having master clock configurable...
I use LCD + EEPROM + RC5 remote control + programmed menus for almost all configs Sabre has. Really nice :)
Still need to program Sabre to use better(?) filters and XO.

Matej

rossl said:

Just wondering...

Are you calculating all using all 4 registers, or just using the MSBs to get a close approximation?

I am using 16bits. But I don't calculate at all, I simply use a look up table. :) This is the fastest and lightest weight solution.

What I found was that there are some wasted bits at the high byte so I shift things left 2 bits. So I am really using the high three bytes but shifting it into two.

I can detect all standard rates from 44.1 to 192khz for both SPDIF and PCM. I don't use it for DSD, but I suppose you could somehow. :)

I actually have done a lot of work on the UI.

All of the registers you would want to change are available via the UI. And you can easily see it, you gotta love a VFD. :) And you can use each feature from either the IR remote or the panel using the encoder.

I even have the mechanism to upload custom filters to the DAC working, though for now I am not making much use of it. :)

All of this and I still have more than 50% of my program space available and > 70% of my RAM. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Javin5 and NeoY2k

That there is a phase shift is not a big deal if you use it for generating one or 2 sines. I was wondering if by delaying the seperate da converter these signals are really uncorrelated. What I understand from doc. is that more da converters parallel lowers the noise but much less for distortion. That is why I wondered if correlation would be lower (= better) if you subsequently delay each signal?

By DEM do you mean Dynamic Element Matching? And using the seperate signals as some kind of DEM. I understood from a previous posting of Dusfor99 that setting the converter to more then 6 bits had no advantage, so I wonder if this helps?

I am trying to generate a low distortion sine wave. And you are right about - 140 db IV converter or better. Perhaps a bit off topic, but it is an explanation why I would like to have low distorion. Some years ago a friend and myself tried to design, as a challence, an audio amplifier without global feedback with a distortion of -120 db or better. We designed a differential voltage amplifier with 30 gain and 2 output stages with a gain of 1.

The voltage amplifier had a distorion at 20 veff out at 1 KHz of D2 -148 db, D3 - 143 db, D4 -156 db, D5 -152 db, further harmonics < -160 db.
Measuring the distortion was perhaps more work then the design. We could measure down to somewhat better then - 170 db noisefloor. It was measured by loading the output of the amp with 1 kohm so basically only measuring the voltage stage. So - 140 db should be possible.

The output stage at 8 ohm load was only -108 db with some kind of errorcorrection. Later I found out that Hawksford had a similiar arrangement. But in 1960 prof Zaalberg van Zelst and Klein at Delft university/Holland allready wrote a chapter about "adding the missing part" long before Hawksford did.

Anyhow I got busy with work and we had to postpone the project. Hopefully I get some more time to do further experiments. But this is an interesting thread so I could not resist to ask.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
tapping DVD-A PCM from Denon 1920

Russ White said:

Hello,
I have not tested PCM to SPDIF on this player yet, but it looks like you will want to take the PCM signal from:
PLRCK (51) - Left/Right clock
PBCK (50) - Bit Clock
PDATA1 (46) - PCM DATA for channels 1 and 2 (Usually front left and right).
I am not sure the format yet, I will let you know when I try it.
Cheers!
Russ

Sorry to wake up this old post but did you ever confirm that high resolution DVD-A PCM can be tapped at these locations in a format that can be fed to the Buffalo? I cannot seem to find a definite answer to this anywhere.
With your nice AC1 it should be easy to see what resolution you are tapping.
Thanks,
Nic

Re: tapping DVD-A PCM from Denon 1920

NicMac said:

Sorry to wake up this old post but did you ever confirm that high resolution DVD-A PCM can be tapped at these locations in a format that can be fed to the Buffalo? I cannot seem to find a definite answer to this anywhere.
With your nice AC1 it should be easy to see what resolution you are tapping.
Thanks,
Nic

Right now that player has a Buffalo in it(with ES9008) and not a BUF32S. At some point I will put a BUF32S in there and let you know. What I can tell you is it should be the full resolution PCM as captured on the disc. I can't see any reason it would not be.

Cheers!
Russ

NeoY2k said:
Ow, the sabre ADC is available? I hadn't seen any public announcement yet!

it is for a while now. Wha Ive been told by Shaw elec.:

"Good to hear from you. The ES9102 is still scheduled for availability
in late March. Please contact me in a few weeks and I will provide
pricing and shipping information for you."

then the communication is cut. Im not trying to buy from the britain distributor for obvious reasons.

jkeny said:
What would you guys think of using a LQFP64 prototyping board $3 + a Sabre DAC ($50) as a cheap tweakers board rather than wait for Twisted Pear to release their tweakers board (which I don't imagine will happen soon)

Do the high speed signals need 4 layer pcb?

This has been thought of before.

It would likely work ok, but bypassing and routing is going to be very suboptimal.

The tweaker board is actually nearly done btw. :)