ESS Sabre DAC -- Give me your Feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I had noticed that in stereo mode 4 6-bit DACs are used to produce essentially 2 8-bit DACs. Are other configurations possible? For instance, it would be useful to be able to use 6 of the DACs for 3 very high quality outputs when digital crossovers are used with 3-way speakers.

The only other thing that I can say at this point is that the jitter rejection and sample rate conversion looks impressive. That would probably be useful as a stand alone chip also if it could be adapted to work with the standard audio sample rate conversion. That way, sample rate conversions can be done without having to worry about "locking" the jitter into the signal. I didn't really understand everything in the pdf (http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/sabrewp.pdf), so I don't know if that method would be adaptable to this other situation or not.

ESS_Blammo said:
Can anyone provide some documentation feedback regarding the Sabre DAC?

Nothing to do with marketing, I don't deal with that, I'm just an engineer.

There are two other threads on this DAC already and mainly we are all trying to get samples or find where we can purchase the DAC chips for research purposes. If you work for ESS then help get them available because as yet, nothing has been forthcoming from ESS and its a bit trite to start asking questions when availability and distribution is short on the ground.

If you do not work for ESS and are simply interested in the DAC, then you should be listening in on the other threads for when we finally have gotten hold of them and done some component building and testing.

Sorry if this sounds terse, but it's not clear what's going on with ESS. They've created the worlds best measuring DAC, got a stereophile introductory review, made countless news article and then not made it available to general DIYers or re-distributors in any easy format. Frankly, that sucks and needs sorting out. The marketing department needs to get their act together.

Mmm... OK, I will bite.

Be honest to you, I really cant see anything new here. The numbers look impressive, other than that, nothing new at all.
It has a free wheeling ASRC plus DEM/ring DAC like architecture, so?

First of all, I am curious how you reached the 130db+ DNR number on AP 2722? How can you get an accurate DNR over 120db on a 2722?

I need to see your rate conversion algorithm to be convinced that this thing is indeed immuned from jitter without getting any bad side effect.
Dont just show me the numbers for pure sine waves.

It's current output or voltage output? If it were current output then how the current source is done? Current output rating?
The output impedance? The frequency impedance curve? How high the load it can drive?

If it were voltage output then the specs of the output amp/OP? What kind of design it is? How you do parallel outputs (in stereo mode)
together to get a 130db DNR? That's a super amp!

This must be a CMOS device, right? Then who's the fab? Definitely this is the key to the quality of the analog part. How do you do part sorting?

I was just talking to Dustin about it, and I think all the available evaluation boards have been sent out at this time.

Also, I believe the website is being updated tomorrow with ALLLLL the performance results, a complete battery of tests, and the available documentation that does not require NDAs at this time.

Unfortunately its politics at this time and little can be provided. I'm sorry I didn't realize that so little was available to tell you the truth. I was originally under the impression that at least a resonable set of documentation was being distributed. We are a small company now, working very hard to get what we can to the public as soon as we can. Check www.esstech.com through the next week or so and you should see some big additions. For now, I am going to step back into the shadows.

thomaseliot said:

IMHO, CS43122 is the one to beat, not CS4398. One Wolfson engineer last week told me that WM8741 is their top dog now yet we have found out WM8740 sounds better than WM8741. In the end, it all depends on the implementation. EV boards are just EV boards. They do not tell you the whole story.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
finneybear said:

IMHO, CS43122 is the one to beat, not CS4398. One Wolfson engineer last week told me that WM8741 is their top dog now yet we have found out WM8740 sounds better than WM8741. In the end, it all depends on the implementation. EV boards are just EV boards. They do not tell you the whole story.
Enough with these switched capacitor outputs already.
I have a CS43122 in my old DAC after an ASRC and it's fine but nothing special.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.