ESS Great Heil vs Beyma SPL150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you mean the Beyma TPL-150.

While both are ribbon based tweeters, they are very different, too.

For one thing, the SPL efficiency is different (92 vs 9 dB-m) and the Beyma is a closed back tweeter versus the open back of the Heil.

The choice between the two has more to do with your end design goals than simply which one is "better".

Without knowing what you are trying to achieve no one can accurately answer your question - except by a lucky guess.

I have another source that conflict with that rating:

ESS Heil Air Motion Transformer AMT Tweeter 264-600

You really need to compare more factors than that, including distortion over the frequency range & breakup, dispersion, impedance over the frequency range, as well as true SPL levels.

Then you can begin the selection of the next driver that you want based on that information.

You may need to actually buy one of each to measure those parameters yourself (manufacture's data is notoriously false).

So, my original point holds and the whole driver selection process and qualification is a long and drawn out affair. When you are paying that kind of money for drivers you really, really owe it to yourself to do your complete homework, which means sampling the actual drivers and carefully measuring and designing around that data.

I saw these reviews. To buy each speaker that is candidate for use for self-measurement of parameters - it is unreal. Which is why I ask information from owners who already have experience.

You absolutely can't use published data for designing of speakers.

That is why I have all these unused speakers around or have given/sold the after I am done.

If you will not measure your own drivers, then the best alternative is buying a predesigned kit where all those issues are worked out by the designer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.