• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB ESS AMT 8 ohm Diaphragms

Wanted to buy
I acquired a pair of Heils from someone that used them with “Horned Heils” from the Horne Shoppe. I tested them on DMM and one was 7.9 ohm and the other read 3.9 ohm.

Just yesterday the seller offered the Horned speakers with the crossovers in a trade and I asked him why the Heils were different impedances. He told me he did replace one diaphragm awhile back and told me he didn’t realize they were different. He mentioned thinking the necessary ESS Heil impedances for the “Horned Heil” is 8 ohm.

does anyone that owns the Horned Heil know their ESS Heil impedance?

ESS has a facebook page. It has a chat option. You can use it to ask them questions or call their office. I have talked to them several times. They are very responsive.

The technician I communicated with said they haven't produced 8 ohm diaphragms for decades. And the 2012 horn shoppe speakers are probably 4 ohm diaphragms. The AMT in the picture looks like one of their more recent designs. The older models did not have the ESS badge.

Steve

Awesome. Thanks. I actually talked to Ed from the Horn Shoppe today. He told me, hook them up and see how they sound. If they sound bad, replace them. He did recommend I go ahead and just buy two matching diaphragms to have them on hand even if they sound fine.

I am listening to them now. Sound fine to me but I would prefer to have a matched pair.

one of them definitely does not match the other just looking closely at the diaphragms. One of them has what appears to be a metal grate while the other doesn’t.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 54
Actually if one of the diaphragms was 8 ohms and they haven’t made 8 ohms for a long time it means that you have an original pair of 8 ohm units in which one was replaced with a newer 4 ohm unit. That means the crossover is made for 8 ohm units so either find a old 8 ohm diaphram or redo the crossovers for 4 ohms.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The corrugated diaphragm in the main picture does not appear to have the bridal veil gauze damping material attached. Perhaps it may have been removed or the AMT has had an early type fitted . Certainly the housing is the current version of the the Heil. For clarification , there should be serial numbers and a manufacturing date etched on the rear face of each unit. If you have this information, it will indicate if they are a pair, as that is how they are supplied from ESS.

Yes. They are consecutive numbers on the housing. The guy did replace the diaphragm on one of them but couldn’t remember which one and didn’t realize them to have different impedances. I wonder if he bought a used diaphragm from someone and it was 8 ohms.

Both are dated 2012.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I would think at this stage caution is called for. Eight ohm diaphragms are likely to be a rarity and ancient at that. Perhaps obtaining a new replacement four ohm diaphragm would be prudent. I would also consider contacting the seller to check if he is willing to correct for this supply error.

Reactions: 1 user
The seller graciously gave them to me for free. I bought his Pass XA25 and he threw in some other free items that included the ESS diaphragms. He later offered me the Horned speakers to pair the Heils with along with the crossovers. I just need to repair the damaged veneer on them

Here is what I think happened. He bought the Heiled speakers from Ed and the pair dated 2012 with consecutive serial numbers that were 4 ohm. He accidentally blew one diaphragm and got a new one (not from simply speakers or ESS) that was 8 ohm not realizing there were different diaphragms completely.

I asked him where he got the diaphragm and he thinks he got it from Ed as a replacement. I wonder if he accidentally sent him a very rare 8 ohm version.

Another thing of note. When I first opened the diaphragms to look at them and test them. The 8 ohm one appeared to have the clay molding that seals the diaphragm in unevenly put back and the bottom sticker removed. I would guess this to be the one he replaced.

I will call ESS today to get a new diaphragm and pull out the 8 ohm one. I’m sure someone would want/need one in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
I will call ESS today to get a new diaphragm and pull out the 8 ohm one. I’m sure someone would want/need one in the future.

I am looking for an 8 Ohm AMT diaphragm for my PS9A speaker. The measurements for the required diaphragm are 1-1/4" x 2-15/16" (32mm x 75mm). The only available items new are 4 Ohms.

If you still have it I would like to buy it from you - postage to Australia.

Ross