ess 1a monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
getting ready to recap my xovers. they have the old mexico caps.
26ufx75v 44ufx75v 75ufx75v. one of the xover has one xtra cap
because of diff. 1/4 jack. had these 0ver 40/45 years new. ussualy
use ess electronic xover to bi amp.
i am going to stack solen caps to make up the values i need.
is this ok. they still soud great with old caps.
should i make the change because the old caps look ok. just old like me
thank you
audioray boston

Just remove the old caps carefully and keep them, that way you can always revert if you should feel the need. With new caps the sound should improve, but human ears have acquired tastes too.

Solen MKP will do fine, and remember when stacking values, once you're within 5% of the original value you're good. No need to squeeze out the last uF. Those old components usually had lousy tolerance anyway.

Kenneth

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Solen MKP will do fine, and remember when stacking values, once you're within 5% of the original value you're good. No need to squeeze out the last uF. Those old components usually had lousy tolerance anyway.

Kenneth

+/- 20% was a pretty good capacitor back then. Precision caps only came in very small values and were usually found in RF circuits.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have some AMT1 drivers and crossovers that were removed from a disgarded old speaker. The diaphrams have been removed as well. Could you check the magnetic orientation of your speakers to see if the front is north or south pole.

I don't have a magnetic compass around to play with but I don't think it really matters much - the AMT1's are dipole so if it doesn't sound right just flip 'em around.

Last edited:
ess1a m

had on hand some 33uf/44uf solens. bought some 12uf/30uf/25+iuf for 26uf.
ended up with 26uf/45uf/75uf. about 8/10 years ago i did refoam the woofer
& passives. then they sat unused. last week i began working on them. i put caps in same possisition as old ones. one xover had a diff. 1/4 jack and a
xtra 75uf cap. as for photo need my son help. when i bring the speaks up
stairs i will bi amp whit ess electronic x-over 2241.as of now they sound fine.
to pull out xover ther are 4 screws/8 staples/rubber adhives. keep track of color
wire to drivers for polarity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.