ESL powder coating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think laser cutting is the way to go to avoid sharp edges, after that etching might still help to make the square edges a bit round.
Laser cutting not only create sharp edge but additionally make the same kind sharp thin wall tube like protrusion as punching does. Moreover laser put really high stress (temperature related) on material.
So the mill router is the way to go with deburring as well.
One of the reasons of having arc shaped ESLs - as mentioned earlier - is thin sheet stabilty...

I have some numbers now, straight from the manufacturer.
This coating was recommended to me. (Base coat)
Specific surface resistivity: >10^13 ohm cm
Dielectric strength: >30kV/mm
Dielectric constant (100Hz, MHZ): 4.0

Plus a black top-coat for looks and corrosion resistance.

I have some numbers now, straight from the manufacturer.
This coating was recommended to me. (Base coat)
Specific surface resistivity: >10^13 ohm cm
Dielectric strength: >30kV/mm
Dielectric constant (100Hz, MHZ): 4.0

Plus a black top-coat for looks and corrosion resistance.

Hi MarkusG,

Based on those numbers, the base coat recommended to you should work fine for ESL stator coating if it will coat the sharp edges of the holes properly. Do you know the electrical properties of the top-coat? It probably has much higher resistance, so try to minimize its thickness.

The base coat has a recommended film thickness of 100-300um and the top coat 35-120um.

125+45um should do the trick or what do you think? With 40% edge coverege it should take at least 1.5kV (not counting the top coat at all) peaks before dielectric break down. (only counting one stator now, double it for both stators.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.