ESL Bias Supply Polarity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oops

And I thought you didn't know what you were talking about, Few! Yikes. Thanks for breaking down and playing the expert card. I suppose I would find this discussion slightly annoying if I were you. And thanks also to the others who piped in.

I see finally that a coronal discharge leads to the creation of ozone (among other reactants), which is not an ion. Thanks for the clarification.

I suppose that being asked to field the following type of question may be one reason why you are not anxious to reveal your credentials, Few.

Since ozone is a polar molecule, I suppose it may be attracted to some extent to charged surfaces. I am wondering now whether it would be attracted to a charged ESL membrane sufficiently well to reduce its availability after it is created during an overload that ionizes the air in the gap? If so, I'd also be wondering what is the fate of any ozone that is so collected?

For those who doubt the severity its health effects, I stumbled on this:
http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=100

This brings back memories of when I played with ignition coil based inverters as a kid. I used to move the output wire (made out of 200V rated PVC) with my hand to do all sorts of "experiments." There would invariably be a blue glow around my fingers, and the sweet smell of ozone. I had yellowish-brown fingers for days afterward :D

Kenneth

I read somewhere that a negative polarization voltage will cause the conductive layer to evaporate over time.

Kenneth
Well it might be... ions, i.e. particles with weight that can destroy coating are usually positevely charged, being stripped out of electrons. Electrons on the other hand do not have any sufficient mass so no damage occurs when ones hit the coating.
Alex
P.S. Ion traps in CRT

Well it might be... ions, i.e. particles with weight that can destroy coating are usually positevely charged, being stripped out of electrons. Electrons on the other hand do not have any sufficient mass so no damage occurs when ones hit the coating.
Alex
P.S. Ion traps in CRT

I have read several places that electrons don't really travel very far freely in air...only in a vacuum like a CRT or a vacuum tube. In air they quickly collide with other atoms to form negative ions.

Anybody know if this is the case?
If so, any idea if negative ions or positive ions would be more damaging if they hit the coating?

And I thought you didn't know what you were talking about, Few! Yikes. Thanks for breaking down and playing the expert card.

Rest assured I often don't feel like I know what I'm talking about. This was one of those rare exceptions.

I suppose that being asked to field the following type of question may be one reason why you are not anxious to reveal your credentials, Few.

I don't play up credentials because I've learned too many times that they don't make anyone infallible!

Since ozone is a polar molecule, I suppose it may be attracted to some extent to charged surfaces. I am wondering now whether it would be attracted to a charged ESL membrane sufficiently well to reduce its availability after it is created during an overload that ionizes the air in the gap? If so, I'd also be wondering what is the fate of any ozone that is so collected?

In a uniform electric field I'd expect a molecule with a dipole moment to rotate and orient itself in the field, but not to experience any force that causes it to translate toward when electrode or the other. The positive end of the dipole feels a pull one way and the negative end feels an equal pull the opposite way, but there's no net force on the molecule as a whole if it is charge neutral.

Few

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.