ES9038Q2M Board

I think you missed what triggered this exchange; you may want to read a few pages back. Or not.

Otherwise, I'm sure he does. I can only hope that his happiness is your happiness too.

you know, he never once dared me, even though I sometimes asked stupid questions or was mistaken. what can you suggest me to improve the board ?! to make me even happier? and other people to make happier? no?! Mark advised a lot. And this good for me. show the message where you and Mark have share the skin of the "not yet killed bear"

Last edited:
Mark, can I try the schematic iv I attached? what do you think? using op1612.

Of course, you can try it. I don't know how it sounds. Also to some extent, often significant, layout matters. Don't forget to think about where ground currents flow and whats in them. RF? Ground loops? Etc.

...you do not have a commercial project...

I have said before that if I ever do have a commercial audio product, that I will announce it here in this forum so that everyone who cares or thinks it matters can take it into consideration. I will also say right now that there is some pressure on me to produce, or to collaborate, on a commercial dac design. Maybe it will happen, maybe not. If it does I will say so. So far, it hasn't happened.

Last edited:
Mark advised a lot.

While I admit Mark4's advice are not harmful to health, public safety and sound, most of them are not worth the electrons used to post them. I still have to see an advice outside the well established engineering practices, leading to a proven improvement in the AK4499 or ESS DACs (the ESS hump is known for ages now, and I still have to see any proof that the hump is actually audible).

But some people are happy to read such and eventually spend money on illusions, that's human nature, I guess.

The exchange was about designing chips based on Golden Ears feedback, which I maintain is pure nonsense. Anybody with the slightest understanding of the semiconductor industry would certify this. If you or others prefer to believe otherwise, then so be it, it's your choice, doesn't necessary need to be rational.

While I admit Mark4's advice are not harmful to health, public safety and sound, most of them are not worth the electrons used to post them. I still have to see an advice outside the well established engineering practices, leading to a proven improvement in the AK4499 or ESS DACs (the ESS hump is known for ages now, and I still have to see any proof that the hump is actually audible).

But some people are happy to read such and eventually spend money on illusions, that's human nature, I guess.

The exchange was about designing chips based on Golden Ears feedback, which I maintain is pure nonsense. Anybody with the slightest understanding of the semiconductor industry would certify this. If you or others prefer to believe otherwise, then so be it, it's your choice, doesn't necessary need to be rational.

did you answer my questions? no! you belittle the other person's work. who takes his time to explain to people how and what. What did you personally do that was extremely important? where are your arguments with the facts that we are wasting money? stuffing on the fan about the fact that someone was mistaken about what that ear? I look at very important information) some of the advice is banal for you, as if you are a high-level guru, but for people it is advice. you there personally insulted with a bad word addressed to you? show me where they called you a bad word! if not, be quiet. you pursue purely your own interests, which did not satisfy you here) calm down, this is not a brothel) and my advice is to be more justified in expressions addressed to me;)

Last edited:

come on, buddy, you give us your super advice and show us what we really need to spend money on. with the facts. arguments. is free. and you will help people in detail who know little about this. I want a good sounding dac. up to $ 500. or even less. my arms are growing out of my shoulders, my head on my shoulders. and I don't want to pay some Vasya for beautiful letters on the case. you have exalted yourself above man in this area. be a man, give arguments and facts to the studio) otherwise a bad phrase suggests itself to you, under which you have every chance to get well-reasoned, like a stigma :)

did you answer my questions? no! you belittle the other person's work. who takes his time to explain to people how and what. What did you personally do that was extremely important? where are your arguments with the facts that we are wasting money? stuffing on the fan about the fact that someone was mistaken about what that ear? I look at very important information) some of the advice is banal for you, as if you are a high-level guru, but for people it is advice. you there personally insulted with a bad word addressed to you? show me where they called you a bad word! if not, be quiet. you pursue purely your own interests, which did not satisfy you here) calm down, this is not a brothel) and my advice is to be more justified in expressions addressed to me;)

Google Translate ?? 'Pony up or you're private parts" ??

Last edited:
Google Translate ?? 'Pony up or you're private parts" ??

Please read my latest posts carefully. in sequence. if the meaning does not reach, then read again. what do you need from the person who helps us? free of charge. he, like everyone else, sometimes makes mistakes. es9038q2m actually sounds pretty good after work! several people listened to my dac. have any of you done more for us in this matter? Do you still have questions about the translation of a message not addressed to you personally?

not ready to argue without listening to d50. but d50 with a hump. d50s without hump. the Chinese themselves write about it. also it is the pure "analog" power supply of avcc that is definitely better than the "digital" one. convinced myself using in avcc first tps7a4700, and now lt3042. also there is no guarantee that smd elements in d50 are of high quality. also my case is made of aluminum, I have not finished it yet. I had a reason to buy d50s only because of the "hump".

>the Chinese themselves write about it.
Could you give me a link?

>the Chinese themselves write about it.
Could you give me a link?

and here is my mistake) it's good that you asked!) I read this fake on one of the forums. now I see that this is not true. I beg your pardon. the only difference is in bluetooth and remote control. then it makes no sense for me to buy d50 / d50s at all. by the way, bluetooth ldac I want to screw, for my wife and daughter)

do you refer to the one shown in #6112? have you provided uninterrupted ground plane for I/V? it really matters for ES90XX DACs, as ESS/Mark4 have pointed out previously. Summing/LPF can be located more distant then.

eziitis, hello! no. I'm still at the final stage. I have not yet completed everything on nutrition. I'm on vacation now and on the other side of the country. I also want to try another i / v circuit, in post 6111. we do not have 2.74 resistors and the like on sale. therefore, the circuit is heaped up from a heap of smd, giving the required value in total. of course I will put the wires in order. I want a visually correct layout) at this stage already sounds pretty bad.

A comment about listening in audio design when it comes to dac chip designers: Its not clear to me that the only way a golden ear could provide input to help guide dac chip design would to accept or reject a multimillion dollar mask. Probably a lot of people involved if that was at stake.

Rather, I am thinking of input during earlier stages of design. Scott Wurcer said ESS dacs were first prototyped in FPGA. John Westlake said he visited the AKM factory and they showed him they were listening to AK4498 and an FPGA prototype of AK4191. If a golden ear is involved in approval of DSP algorithms and such other things that may be financially practical to do, then in my view that means listening was used to help guide design.

Anyway, for me, when it is possible to use both listening and measurements for audio design, then that can potentially lead to the most successful results.

Last edited:
where are your arguments with the facts that we are wasting money?
I want a good sounding dac. up to $ 500. or even less.
Spending time & money on DAC / DAC parts that don't provide audible improvement would be a waste. Someone's anecdotal listening impression doesn't equal to scientific evidence. DAC is a matured technology these days and there is no need to spend more than standard DAC that comes with digital player because they already offer high quality sound that you or any audiophile can hear.

if not, be quiet. you pursue purely your own interests, which did not satisfy you here) calm down, this is not a brothel) and my advice is to be more justified in expressions addressed to me;)
He and others have been calling out BS when they see it so that the readers (this forum is open to public) can learn from and avoid wasting time & money on audio electronics.

Someone's anecdotal listening impression doesn't equal to scientific evidence.
I agree. It is infinitely more important than any scientific evidence can ever be.
Audio is about the reproduction of music for humans. Someone's anecdotal listening impression is the only reason for its existence.

Do you remember Philips CD adverts in the 80's? "Perfect sound for ever" they said. My ears disagreed, but you wouldn't have even believed yours assuming you would have bothered to listen.

Rather, I am thinking of input during earlier stages of design. Scott Wurcer said ESS dacs were first prototyped in FPGA. John Westlake said he visited the AKM factory and they showed him they were listening to AK4498 and an FPGA prototype of AK4191. If a golden ear is involved in approval of DSP algorithms and such other things that may be financially practical to do, then in my view that means listening was used to help guide design.

Not sure Scott said that (a link would be appreciated) but AK4499 is a mixed (analog and digital) circuit. There are no FPGAs allowing such an implementation, FPGAs are pure digital circuits.

AK4191 is a 64bit digital delta-sigma modulator, that could be implemented in a FPGA, the key part is still the AK4498 which is mixed signal. The decision to have them separate components is based on the fact that the digital process for the AK4191 doesn't fit the mixed signal requirements for the AK4498, and the other way around. From this perspective, AK4499 was the result of a heroic process tuning to accommodate both. The result was a separate dedicated process, that is definitely not economic, hence the two parts roadmap.

So do your homework, ask at the source as I did myself, and stop spreading hearsay.