ES9018 opinions. Can it beat the TDA1541?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, how's this... the ES9018 has a veiled nutty sound, like an old oak floor; but the 9008 is more of a new oak sound... a bit more creeky in the midrange with vocals, but with a warmer glow. :cheeky:

Technically different, and subjectively different.

I think you have found your new calling...... as an audio reviewer.
I have some contacts....... they will be in touch:rolleyes:

I think you have found your new calling...... as an audio reviewer.
I have some contacts....... they will be in touch:rolleyes:

Thus my resistance to subjective reviews of "how something sounds." It's all blather. There really are no words to describe how something sounds, and if there were, they would be only to that individual.

And, just for the record, so there is no mistaking it, my oak-laden opinion above was pure sarcasm.

I know that, I was only teasing.

However subjective reviews are, to think that one persons opinion and words only relate to themselves is to ignore the similarities in all of us. I find subjective reviews to be very enlightening. In the end, its up to the reader to validate the review, and relate it to their own experience.
If you are abstaining from reviewing due to professional bias, I can understand that.
I can't make you give a review. Though it would be kind if you would.

Thus my resistance to subjective reviews of "how something sounds." It's all blather. There really are no words to describe how something sounds, and if there were, they would be only to that individual.

And, just for the record, so there is no mistaking it, my oak-laden opinion above was pure sarcasm.

After that review, I was sure of two things. One, I was going to get a TP DAC, because I love old wood, and two, you love wine like me. Now I don't know what to think. I am so confused. I have a bottle of wine and thoughts of wood and nothing to do with them. Guess i'll listen to some music.

Side note. Have you guys considered doing an direct I2S board so all the spdif/usb stuff could be done waya with.

If you are abstaining from reviewing due to professional bias, I can understand that.

Well, professional bias is just part of it. It's more that I can only give a opinion about a specific implementation of a DAC chip, not the chip itself. This would mean I am giving a completely biased and subjective review of something we sell, which I like to avoid, especially in an open forum.

Side note. Have you guys considered doing an direct I2S board so all the spdif/usb stuff could be done waya with.

You can do direct I2S and DSD now.

The OP was a comparison of TDA to 9018. My comment was simply, that the 9022 and 9008 are different animals than the 9018.

Ah gotcha. I was reading on a phone, so might not have been as clear to me as normal!!

Anyway, the 9022 is a magic chip given the right implementation and power supply. Something in common with the 9008 I reckon (and probably every chip!). The thing is, that because its voltage out, its less complicated to build. No IV conversion, etc etc etc. And still sounds very very good.

Anyone interested should go have a look at this thread.

Fran

I think that TDA1541 qualities are overrated. It's fame is mostly due to the fact that is cheap to find old CD players with it and it is packed in a big DIP capsule that DIY begginers can tinker/work easyer with...
I have a player with TDA1541 and several other players with modern DAC's. All of them have modded analog stages (better opamps) and... TDA1541 is my least favorite. Tried even the "NOS" mod... sounded horrid.
That is my conclusion, your milage might vary.

There are also evangalists of this chip who are very outspoken of its qualities how it sounds more analog. IMO its ok but over rated. Interesting to note that Ken Ishiwata used this chip for his Marantz reference player (cant remember the model).

I wouldn't say that the TDA1541 is overrated. It is usually recommended as the chip most likely to sound like a turntable. Its slightly restricted dynamic range does give it qualities similar to LP playback. Its midrange is its strong point, and IMO compared to many other chips its midrange still beats many, although the bass and treble can be lacking when compared to other newer chips. Not everyone likes the full dynamic range of CD and so the TDA1541 will still suit the tastes of many people. Considering the age of the chip and being Philips first 16 bit chip it should be respected with the historical significance which it deserves. Its continued use by many is testimony to its virtues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.