Equalizer: Software based (on the PC) or a Hardware, Analog one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see,
thank you very much for the tip.

In that case, I will do this:
I will bring a Windows 10 laptop/tablet, and connect it to my audio system (DAC, and then amplified speakers) instead of my current Windows XP computer.
On this second computer (it will mostlikely be a tablet, with Windows 10, and with a USB port), I will then install Equalizer APO
(and also SXQ, would be nice to experiment with both).
It will then help to see how much improvement I can get from an EQ.

Neither of graphic EQs or paramentric hard EQs are the right way to see what your problem frequencies are, and if the problems can even be improved in the frequency domain.
What are other improvements/fixes that can be done, in addition to Frequencies?

What are other improvements/fixes that can be done, in addition to Frequencies?

As I alluded to a bit before, if the speakers are free to vibrate at all the way they sit on the surface they happen to sit on, or if the surface itself can vibrate, then EQ will not be the correct fix for that. Weird effects in the time domain, frequency domain, and imaging all can occur at once. I wasn't kidding when I linked to Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers. If you can figure out a way to diy something like that it may very well help a lot. They use a thick steel plate for mass, a thin sticky rubber top layer that keeps the speaker more or less stuck to the heavy metal plate, and then a thick lossy foam bottom layer that decouples the steel plate mass from the surface that the speaker and Stabilizer sit on.

Like other types of processing/filtering that can be done to the sound, in addition to equalizer..

How and where the speakers are placed in a room can matter a lot, if not listening near field.

As far as other DSP effects go, things like reverbs, compressors, etc., are special effects that do not make speakers work better. They can be used for fun, but don't like them myself for use with speakers. A shuffler can make the sound stage seem wider, but its an artificial thing. Maybe depends if the speakers are for casual entertainment or serious listening.

You might look into something like a minidsp 2x4hd. Really enjoying mine and has enough inputs for a phone stage via rca, cd transport over toslink, and PC via usb.

You can get just the board if you want to roll your own case/power supply.

I've also used equalizer apo in the past and really liked it but I was using it for xover and occasionally the routing would get messed up and I'd have to reinstall it to fix it. I was paranoid about blowing compression driver if forgot to check before playing music so ended up moving away from it. I think it would be much more reliable for two channel so give it a shot like you said.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.