EQ usage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most people have never even heard a quality or calibrated music system...so they would never even know what your music is supposed to sound like would they?QUOTE]

I think that is much of the issue with consumers and installers alike. They don't TRULY know what the music should sound like. And most don't care.

I quit installing professionally when customers became consistently more interested in turning their cars into carnival rides than actually listening to the music.

Tim

I think all this boils down to personal taste. After my experience of over 35 years of dealing with audio, both at home and on the road, I have developed my own set of parameters as to what I want my system to give me, in terms of capabilities.

Some source material can better take advantage of those capabilities, while with poor source material the weaknesses of it are going to be magnified more than with average gear. I choose to live with the degraded sound quality without bothering to try to make it "sound better" through EQing.

In fact, I have some old, old blues recordings that are very poor indeed, but I enjoy the rawness of it all. It gives me "feeling" that is different than listening to a very nicely recorded copy of "Riding with the King" with Eric Clapton and B.B King. So I turn down the volume and enjoy the music.

There are those among us who become equipment listeners, rather than music listeners. I've done that myself and now try to steer clear of that if it means falling into a situation of being annoyed by my gear and not allowing myself to enjoy the music.

But if someone else wants to go a different route, that's great. We should all do what we want and enjoy. That's the name of the game.

Ere, Mr J Hotnuts, are your nuts hot from sliding your crotch across some smooth surface?

The reason I have hot nuts has been a topic of controversy and lore for generations. Some speculate that it had something to do with a ritualistic hazing event; others argue that it was clearly as a result of an incident in a night club in Tijuana Mexico.

The real reason I can not revel at this juncture.

Not a bad guess though, but way off.

How fast was you going, and with what vehicle do hold Land speed for?

In truth not very fast. (we set the record @ 115, but both my pop and I went 125+).

It was the first year for the new car on the salt and was intended to be a test year for the motor (Suzuki Hayabusa). With the HP and CdA of the car it *should of went in the 155+ range.
I discovered very early that there was a serious and unpredictable handing issue at any speed over 100.

This was caused by excessive down force on the front causing the back to get light AND the Gen II Mazda Rx7 rear end had a passive 4 wheel steering system whose affect was multiplied by ridged suspension.

We felt it was better to learn from the car rather than to push it, take our low speed record and come back next year with the handling issue sorted out.

With the new motor and new nose (we ran a stock 1.3K @ 175 RWHP, this year is 1507 @ 250 RWHP) we should be able to break 200 mph.

My pop and the car

trip_2.jpg

I think my listening tastes change with the music and my mood. Sometimes I want to feel the bass right down to 30Hz, so I need powerful subs tuned low (why I like IB subs). Other times I dial them back and listen to it roughly level. I like fairly good quality all the time, capacity to overcome any road noise in the car including having all the windows down, and as I said the ability to produce deep bass as some music was made. I don't care for modern little driver home speakers that can't make any bass when some cheap old 12" 3 way will blow it out of the room. IMO if <60Hz is included in the music the speakers should be able to play it. I don't have my entertainment room built yet, so I don't even have a sub in the house for movies. Then again no time to listen to home stereo much anyway.

Cool car BTW, must be a lot of fun.

for J H..

So what class did you break a record for? Obviously 115mph is not the land speed record for every vehicle. How many different classes are registered or do you use factors like engine displacement, how many wheels, etc?? We all know a 600cc bike can do well over 160 mph n/a and way more if turbo'ed. I'm just asking because of the abundance of people who hold land speed records.. never really thought about it until now when you mentioned 115 mph. I've been ASSuming the land speed record was THE land speed record for ANY wheeled vehicle.

So what class did you break a record for? Obviously 115mph is not the land speed record for every vehicle. How many different classes are registered or do you use factors like engine displacement, how many wheels, etc?? We all know a 600cc bike can do well over 160 mph n/a and way more if turbo'ed. I'm just asking because of the abundance of people who hold land speed records.. never really thought about it until now when you mentioned 115 mph. I've been ASSuming the land speed record was THE land speed record for ANY wheeled vehicle.

I did not want this thread to be hijacked on my account……but many people have questions such as these.

We race in MS class (modified sports) "H" (1000-1523cc)
we run gas class (supplied event fuel) Fuel class (run what you brung) Blown Gas and Blown Fuel (we will swap motors from NA to Blown every other year).

There are classes for body, displacement, fuel and blown.
There are also motorcycle classes including: side car, body, displacement, motor type (a push rod V twin 1340 would not compete with a 1300cc Busa but would be in the same class displacement).

This means that there are landspeed records for many different classes, everything from blown fuel unlimited streamliners, roadsters, sports cars, vintage sedans, lakesters and more.

I suggest you watch the movie “Worlds Fastest Indian”. It’s a great movie and gives some insight on the people and what it takes to break a record.

Also check out:

http://www.scta-bni.org/
www.landracing.com
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bonneville-Index.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.