• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Entry level tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
augerpro said:
...What are your opinions on this: http://www.s5electronics.com/tube12.html
Any other cheap kits that sound good?

Thanks,
Brandon

There are a bunch of mods for this amp. Most are described on VoltSecond's site. He takes you through the mods but also through the reasons for the mods.

For the price the S 5 Electronics kit is a good introduction to tubes and it sounds good as well.

Another choices-
http://www.lh-electric.4t.com/sta44.htm

I haven't heard this one but again it has a good price and comes with a very nice looking chassis rather than a plain wooden board.

I do NOT recomend you build ANY of the above kits. They are great introductions into tube audio and (like myself) will propell you down a dark slippery road you can't leave. And for god's sake DO NOT look at the picture gallery of members amplifiers. I made this crucial mistake, and it's all over.

TRUST ME!!! Once you build and listen to one of these, you are lost forever.

I went in VERY short order from a K-12G kit to an Eico ST-40 which I re-tubed, to a Ming-Da MC34-B new in the box. (Should be here today, I hope)

I am currently reading books on tube amp design and looking on epray for my next victim. And it's ONLY been a MONTH!!!! :eek:

Don't do it, Man!! :D

Marc

My first tube amp was the Bottlehead. It is an amazing bit of kit for the money.

Now I'm working on building a preamp from scratch.

I concur with the above post that claims it is a slippery slope in which one may have difficulty getting back up again, at least without building several more amps, preamps, etc. ;)

Enjoy and good luck with your choices.

I'm fairly newbieish here, my dad was an electronics engineer (passed away in '88), was in WW II.
I'm 52, and have been playing with this stuff off & on since the mid 60's, built kits as a kid & later, got my first ham license in '68.
Built a HF multiband Ham receiver back then from schematic, also some heathkits over the years, but never really knew enough to create a "new" optimized design over what I see others have done, besides mix & match power supplies, and know where I can & cannot change capacitor values, etc.
After a hiatus of over 10 years now, I'm building this stuff again, and it's quite exciting as I haven't failed yet or blown anything up recently.

I've worked on 3 amps lately, and 2 in progress (not done yet), but put together a littler pre-amp which does well too (or seems to do for me in hi-fi with my best sound perception), and is simple, only $85 to build:

Attachments

• pre_schem.jpg
    pre_schem.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,807
Runco990 said:
I do NOT recomend you build ANY of the above kits. They are great introductions into tube audio and (like myself) will propell you down a dark slippery road you can't leave. And for god's sake DO NOT look at the picture gallery of members amplifiers. I made this crucial mistake, and it's all over.Marc

Hehe, a kindred spirit ;) I actually took up diy speakerbuilding a few months ago and after at least $3k spent I still haven't built a speaker! But I have a nice woodshop now! Seriously though i know how I am with new hobbies and that's why I just want a simple kit to try out a tube wiht a speaker project I have planned. I don't have the time or money to seriously pursue a new hobby so I have to keep myself from getting in too deep :D

The K502 looks tempting and the price is right. MIKET how did you come with 1 watt? It says 8 max. Would this be about the same or less then the STA45 in reality?

The STA45 looks nice too. I'd make my own chassis from wood so that's not a selling point. Can anyone say what performance advantage there is over the K502 to justify the price difference? I like all the mods at Voltseconds site though, but that is definatley the slippery slope that will suck me in!

I'll check out that Bottlehead too. Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

frank754 said:
I've worked on 3 amps lately, and 2 in progress (not done yet), but put together a littler pre-amp which does well too (or seems to do for me in hi-fi with my best sound perception), and is simple, only $85 to build:

Thanks Frank. It's been years since high school electronics class so I'm thinking a pre made PCB like the kits have is about the level of complexity I'm going for right now. Building a high voltage amp from just the schematic is a bit more than I want to take on right now!

The STA45 is rated at 5 watts but that is a good usable 5 watts.

I piched the case used an aluminum plate on top a wood base.

You can also add a switch to jump a wire and change a resistor and jump to SET (you have 2 watts).

Easy to mod and play with, also lots of brands of tubes to get a diiferant with.

augerpro said:

Hehe, a kindred spirit ;) I actually took up diy speakerbuilding a few months ago and after at least $3k spent I still haven't built a speaker! But I have a nice woodshop now! Seriously though i know how I am with new hobbies and that's why I just want a simple kit to try out a tube wiht a speaker project I have planned. I don't have the time or money to seriously pursue a new hobby so I have to keep myself from getting in too deep :D

The K502 looks tempting and the price is right. MIKET how did you come with 1 watt? It says 8 max. Would this be about the same or less then the STA45 in reality?

The STA45 looks nice too. I'd make my own chassis from wood so that's not a selling point. Can anyone say what performance advantage there is over the K502 to justify the price difference? I like all the mods at Voltseconds site though, but that is definatley the slippery slope that will suck me in!

I'll check out that Bottlehead too. Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

The k-502 is the same as the k-12M amplifier here is a link to a review of the K-12M from AudioExpress http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/1102hansen2145.pdf
It is 8 watts.

tkifowit said:
The STA45 is rated at 5 watts but that is a good usable 5 watts.

I piched the case used an aluminum plate on top a wood base.

You can also add a switch to jump a wire and change a resistor and jump to SET (you have 2 watts).

Easy to mod and play with, also lots of brands of tubes to get a diiferant with.

I'm thinking I may go with this amp. How exactly do you change to SET? Do you know any other good mods for this amp?

Thanks, Brandon

To change to an SET you change the R15 (bias resistor) to 270 ohm 2 watt and connect pin 9 at the output tube to pin 7 ( you can put a switch in if you want to switch between the two modes.

Remove c4 (in put cap) and change c11 to a better brand of cap and change it to .33. Change the rect. diodes to FRED's. Try differant tubes. I got some great tubes on e-bay (Holland) for less than 20.00$.

The sound differance for less than 60.00$ is fantastic.

Although it does sound very good stock, this extends the bass alot.

My next step is better tranformers (i just ordered some ubt-2).

tkifowit said:
To change to an SET you change the R15 (bias resistor) to 270 ohm 2 watt and connect pin 9 at the output tube to pin 7 ( you can put a switch in if you want to switch between the two modes.

Remove c4 (in put cap) and change c11 to a better brand of cap and change it to .33. Change the rect. diodes to FRED's. Try differant tubes. I got some great tubes on e-bay (Holland) for less than 20.00$.

The sound differance for less than 60.00$ is fantastic.

Although it does sound very good stock, this extends the bass alot.

My next step is better tranformers (i just ordered some ubt-2).

I can recommend these.

http://www.magnequest.com/robin_hood_series.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.