Enclosure size for Tymphany TC9 FD-18-08 used as "tweeter"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd most likely default to using a Zobel on the woofer at the very least, but perhaps a single coil could be made to work.

I think the TC9 can get away with nothing but a capacitor. Its Le is low enough and "moving away" from the Xo point and it's impedance peak, already mild, can be tamed further by stuffing and introducing leakage to the enclosure. At 1 liter sealed, the peak simulates at 17 Ohm; add Qa=10 and it's down to 15 OHm; add Ql=0.3 and it's down to 13 ohm. Not too shabby at 2x Re IMO. A short damped line could likely improve upon this.

Since several interesting options for crossovers were offered and I have all the necessary components on hand, I've decided to try several of them. I'm curious as to whether my experience will be like Pano's that there really is not much difference between them.
I do want to try Draki's simulation, especially since it crosses a a bit higher than Lojzek's, but wonder if it used the correct speaker measurements, given the difference he got when replicating Lojzek's sim. Could someone clarify this for me? I am planning on using a 10" W X 18" T X 14" D (29 L) vented cabinet.
Thanks!
Jay

Jay, both Draki and myself were using original manufacturer data, a near 90 dB FR plot of the woofer with a difference of me additionally adding the baffle step and edge diffraction response which lowers the spl as if this speaker were in free space in an enclosure, as is the situation usually, and my impedance was a simulated vented box of 38 litres and Fb=30 Hz. Draki's impedance was free air. The closer to the wall this speaker is the lesser the sensitivity loss. Theoretically Draki's steeper filter HP on fulrange unit is better but the values are not optimized yet, on both of the units. In practice which will sound better is unknown until tested. My goal was simply a minimalistic filter since you specifically said "This is not intended to be a great sounding speaker overall". It can be made to sound great, with the right approach and tools, for the record. My guess is that you will be positively suprised with either of the suggested solutions. Let us know the listening results and we can further enhance the crossover, if need be.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
9in sport cones (pylons). About 1.2 liters and perfectly shaped for back chamber duties. Plastic is fairly non resonant too.

61-XvgLt2RL._SX355_.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.