Enclosure for Audio Nirvana Super 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an AN super 8 and I would like to solicit your experiences with different enclosures. For now, mine is in the suggested BR box from the manufacturer. I am contemplating on two: SPQR III or Dallas II. Anybody has experiences on these two enclosures?
Thanks.

It's an 8in driver with limited travel; active Eq without supporting LF units will kill dynamic range stone dead.

Dallas II was not designed for the AN unit, but the old Fostex FE206E, and is fairly tightly linked to that unit (the 206En successor should be OK). I can't recall the dimensions of the SPQR-III off-hand, but I suspect it'd be a little more forgiving. Possibly Fostex's Factory design for the FE206ES-R would be worth you looking at since it's relatively flexible.

Last edited:
I have an AN super 8 and I would like to solicit your experiences with different enclosures. For now, mine is in the suggested BR box from the manufacturer. I am contemplating on two: SPQR III or Dallas II. Anybody has experiences on these two enclosures?
Thanks.

I have the AN8 Neo version. As much as I love this drivers character, detail and dynamics; its a bit of a pain to actually use as a 'full range' driver.

I've tried various types of back loaded horn with this driver. The problems come when you try and get the driver to produce bass down into the 40hz range. It tends to leave a great big hole in the response from 100hz to 300-400hz which needs a front horn to reinforce the sound, or you need to crank up +6db on the EQ through that range to compensate, which I don't like doing as it can clip with certain big dynamic pieces.

I then tried a much smaller and higher tuned BLH to try and compensate against that 'sag', using a much bigger baffle to help extend the driver. This generally gave a bit of smearing into the mid ranges that I didn't like.

the solution that has given me the best results with this driver is using it in a 10-12 ltr vented box, then cross to a pair of 12" woofers around the 80-100hz mark. I've found this keeps the bulk of the directly audible sound coming from the AN8, so percussion still sounds singular but takes away the difficult lowest end from the driver.

i should also preface the above with "i am not very good at this so take with a pinch of salt".

drako65

Hello,
look my solutions:
sat horn SCHALMEI
or the double horns
SAXOPHON and RDH 20
and Posaune XL

Attachments

• Schalmeisat1.JPG
    Schalmeisat1.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 482
  • rdh20 seite2web.jpg
    rdh20 seite2web.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 485
  • sax v. B.web jpg.jpg
    sax v. B.web jpg.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 480
  • posaune XL ANS8  TK.jpg
    posaune XL ANS8 TK.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 457
I was looking at PartsExpress buyout section and there's a 5" from TB marked as 'subwoofer', which is rather strange... it's a 16 Ω speaker so the suggested use is to put four of them in parallel to make a 4Ω sub. A 4 Ω sub.... plus the 1Ω derived from the coil...
Just to make an example, for having a narrow baffle .
How the AN performs with a 47-100 uF in series ?

So, an open baffle is a way to go? Not on BLH.

depends where you want the drivers to crossover.

i have found pushing the crossover to around 80hz sounds the best IMO.

if you want to get the AN8 below around 200hz, the driver needs an enclosure.

if you crossover to around 200hz then you obviously need woofers that can cover 40hz-200hz with a similar detailed character as the AN8. The lower you cross it, the less audible the woofers become.

this is a design for my AN8 that i'm working on. the equivalent square box design worked quite well with MDF, i'm looking to make something like this with nice birch.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.