Emotiva Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Vince,

Emo is located close to me and I went to their annual open house last month to see what sort of gear they have.

Very friendly people and nearly all of the other visitors are current (and happy) owners of Emotiva gear. Using my Mk1 QC trained eyeball I have to say that build quality of the Emo gear is up to speed with any of the name brand gear from Denon, Soney, etc. but not at the level of the super high priced stuff. Here is a link to some photo’s of the Emofest and it shows some of the gear opened up for show and tell.
The Emotiva Lounge - Emofest 2010. You should have been there!

Not everyone is all giggles and smiles with their Emo stuff – and there have been several discussions about how legit their power ratings are.

Seeing as how you are interested in the processor I think you will find this link of interest.
HTGuide Forum - Might be returning my UMC-1.What should I get instead?

You can try their gear out and if you aren’t happy with it send it back for a refund.

Regards – c2c

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply C2c.

Outlaw Audio will be releasing their new 978 processor in Q1 of 2011.
They were going to implement Trinnov? Not sure what that is. Must be some kind of processing. But, they had issues, so they concentrated on HDMI Version 1.4a instead.

To be clear, the Model 978 is not a “new” project, but simply a modified version of the same Model 998 we have been working on. As such, we can take advantage of the work already done to fill you in on some of the features and functions you will see in the Model 978.

Peter's Processor Update - The Outlaw Saloon

Vince

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Vince,

I guess it comes down to what you are looking for in a theater processor. A couple of years ago when I was looking to the HT stuff the only decent one I could find that had pre outs was my HK 354 AVR. For its time a good unit and I'm happy with it all things considered. There are nicer units out there now - and even nicer ones coming out. Most of them do not have pre outs until you get up into the pricey high end models so there are decisions to be made there.

I keep coming back to doing a HTPC - then I give up on that and start looking around at processors - and then back to the HTPC again.

Ahhhh - to heck with it - I think I'll go listen to some music!!!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I guess a HTPC could solve a few problems at once. I haven't researched sound cards lately. Probably some nice stuff out there now.

Decisions...

There are some sound cards and MB's with HDMI outputs (ASUS comes to mind) plus I would get to gen up a music server at the same time - plus I can update the hardware (solid state drives) as things advance. The downside - Windoz :eek:

I'm still waiting to see if W7 offers any hope.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I work with Windows every day. It's not that bad. (Don't know what they were thinking when they distributed Vista??) XP Pro works real well and Win 7 has some great functionality built-in. Ran Win 7 Pro virtually and on disk and it's nice. MS will sell lots of the OS.

I work with Mac also. They have just as many issues. Don't let 'em fool ya! Just Google "Mac issues".

Nothing wrong with Linux either. Linux has saved the day on many occassions.
I'd like to build a Linux HTPC.

Back to HT sound cards...wanted to be sure I could run the amps off the sound card directly. Looks like you can but might need cable adaptors to split center/sub, rear Rt/Lt, etc. No big thing.

Yes, the ability to use it as a music server is job 1.

I have a Roku box. They are building lots of apps for it, like a contest, and I've seen some apps referred to as music servers. Not sure if it's the same thing or not. Will have to research it.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Vince -

If we get into discussing the HTPC world that would - or should - get us into another thread as we are getting OT in regards to Emotiva gear. No offense intended - and I don't wanna come off like some stuffed shirt - I'm just trying to color inside the lines.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.