Eminence 12LTA + Supertweeter (coax style)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you should know that the FT17H might not be as good as the spec sheet states.

All compression driven horns [as opposed to WGs] by their nature require a matching impedance to perform properly over a wide BW, i.e. horn + direct radiator output, so no doubt in my mind why the spec sheet seems to misrepresent its performance.

If not available, then CD horn EQ to mimic it is required, i.e. RLC network.

To get similar results without the network requires a much larger, longer WG, drastically increasing driver acoustical offset through the XO BW in both planes.

GM

All compression driven horns [as opposed to WGs] by their nature require a matching impedance to perform properly over a wide BW, i.e. horn + direct radiator output, so no doubt in my mind why the spec sheet seems to misrepresent its performance.

If not available, then CD horn EQ to mimic it is required, i.e. RLC network.

To get similar results without the network requires a much larger, longer WG, drastically increasing driver acoustical offset through the XO BW in both planes.

GM

By matching impedance, do you mean electrically on the amp, so that Z_out = driver_Z, or acoustically via the horn loading? I know most CD's will have a falling response if unloaded or with constant-directivity WG's. I don't remember if I've tried series R for this one.

CD-compensation is pretty much what I did with the small series capacitor, though it kills sensitivity. It would be no problem in an active setup though.

IG

Correct, either through the amp directly or when combined with one that has variably controlled damping [bass/treble controls] built in.

Yes, but not so much as there shouldn't be as much sensitivity loss with a network.

At the flea power levels required to drive a super tweeter horn though, a tiny matching impedance SET amp would be cheap/easy enough to DIY. I imagine kits are available.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.