eMachineShop?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used emachineshop.com at work several times over the past few years. Operations I've used have included mill, lathe, tap, wire edm, and laser cutting. In all cases I have been very happy with the results, and of course, the price. Multiple parts (10+) often seem to be a very good deal. I have to qualify my satisfaction to say that I temper my expectations and only give them parts that do not have to be absolutely the highest tolerance or have the prettiest finish. The quality with respect to finish and maintaining tolerance has been spotty. I have experienced both good and bad surprises in these two areas.

With the "comments to machinist" feature you can specify pretty much anything that is possible, so I assume if one would need very tight tolerance or a certain level of finish that it could be done. You just would not have the convenience of having the CAD program generate an accurate price in advance.

I use our in-house shops for one-off and high precision work. I have even had rough parts made by emachineshop and then had my shop finish them with the higher-tolerance work.

Customer service has been very good, but I haven't been especially pleased that upgrades to the CAD software tend not to be backward compatible with older design files. Sometimes I sit on a design for a couple years before reordering.

Jeremy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.