Elliott Sound MOSFET Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wish I could remember who I bought my MOSFETs from for my P101. They were a little expensive compared to BJT's but they came matched. I hate to see someone scare someone else away from building a P101 because it is a simple design. It is a very good amp IMHO. It does everything a good HiFi amp should. I used mine every day in my studio when it was up and going and I used it through several different speaker combinations and ran all of them with ease.

I still don't know much about electronics but I have been a musician for over 40 years and I can tell if something sounds good or not. This amp sounds good.

Blessings, Terry

mandat said:
There are professionals and sometimes DIYers with great knowledge of electronics, acoustics, psychoacoustics who can design and build audio amplifiers from A to Z. There are DIYers who can applicate somebody's projects only and build amps for their own pleasure. These two groups exist in parallel Universes and forum like this causes that knowledge of the first group can be disseminated.
Let's praise these who want to share knowledge with outsiders. ;)

.... and most of the DIYers are conceited, proud of their babies ;) , That's why it is difficult to share anything ;) . It's time for a long break again.

For Renesas lateral mosfets you can visit Father Jack at tech-diy.com

"that would be me" means i still had plans for a number of Hitachi output amplifiers at the time they were going off production.
In the lateral Mosfet Hey days Hitachi 50/135 and 56/176 mosfets were the ones most easily available at $7 the piece.
Like a number of other DIYaudio members i noticed, when production stopped i acquired a few batches at closing sale price.
Maybe one day i'll pass them on to others, not right now.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
still4given said:
It is a very good amp IMHO. It does everything a good HiFi amp should.

I have built amps of almost identical topologies and I can attest to their excellent sound quality.

Rod has always made excellent amps and this one is "guarantted" to give you excellent sound, to borrow a certain poster's assurance, :).

BTW, you can easily adapt the p101 to run off IRF devices: you use a Vbe (or Vgs) multiplier and it will run just fine.

still4given said:
I wish I could remember who I bought my MOSFETs from for my P101. They were a little expensive compared to BJT's but they came matched. I hate to see someone scare someone else away from building a P101 because it is a simple design. It is a very good amp IMHO. It does everything a good HiFi amp should. I used mine every day in my studio when it was up and going and I used it through several different speaker combinations and ran all of them with ease.

I still don't know much about electronics but I have been a musician for over 40 years and I can tell if something sounds good or not. This amp sounds good.

Blessings, Terry

Try this site:
http://www.tech-diy.com/
Steve

Exicon mosfets

Hi Exicon mosfets (many models) are available from Profusion in England.

You can order with credit card number.
I have ordered many times (I am in Canada) and most time, the parts were on my desk two days after!

Exicons are doing same power (Than Hitachi/Renesas)and higher power/higher voltage laterals mosfets.
You can have them in TO-3, TO-247 and TO-264.
Datasheets on the site too.

I can tell you they are very reliables.

http://www.profusionplc.com/index.htm

If you want Renesas(Hitachi) laterals mosfets, 2SJ162 is TO-247 equivalent to 2SJ50 and 2SK1058 isTO-247 equivalent to 2SK135.
These are availables et Global Electronic supply in Canada.

http://www.globalsemi.com/

Hope this help

Bias

Hi rmihai

Bias should be approx. 1.2 A for 10 wrms class A
If you don't want switching on peaks, it should be approx.1.6 A...
Do not forget the voltage you will use: if you use 25V and 1.6A
each transistor will dissipate 40 watts!
You will need big heatsinks!

Re: Bias

Dragon2 said:
Hi rmihai

Bias should be approx. 1.2 A for 10 wrms class A
If you don't want switching on peaks, it should be approx.1.6 A...
Do not forget the voltage you will use: if you use 25V and 1.6A
each transistor will dissipate 40 watts!
You will need big heatsinks!

I just biased mine like Rod suggested. It barely gets warm. I may try upping the bias just for kicks and giggles. Now that I've felt the Leach I'm thinking I've got a lot of room to play with on the P101. Mine is runing at 67V rails.

Blessings, Terry

Well since we are showing pictures of our kids, Here's some of my P101.

Frontviewright.jpg

openfrontview.jpg

opensideviewright.jpg

The amp is actually a three channel but one board is not in the pictures. I had a solder bridge in it at the time and was sorting it out. That is the reason for such large heatsinks.

This amps really sounds great.

Blessings, Terry

ashok said:
Hi still4given ,

Unique looking amp. Great idea.

The amp (P101) looks huge. Where did you get those heat sinks ?
How much did they cost ?

How many VA is that transformer ?
Thanks,
Ashok.

Hi Ashok,

I bought them from Conrad. They cost almost $100 after shipping if memory serves me right. They are very well made and high quality. I haven't brought myself to spend that much for heatsinks again. That was my first amp and I was following recommendations from others. I have been ebaying my heatsinks since. If you are building something that you really want to look nice, they are the way to go. The cool well too.

I bought that big because I wanted three channels. The third board mounts on the open spot you see in the pictures. The small board and traffo you see are Rod's soft start circuit.

Blessings, Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.