ELEKIT TU-8900 2A3/300B (Stereophile Review Available NOW - July 2023 Edition)

Electrostatics are not a typical choice for a low powered DHT amp. Also 91dB efficiency is somewhat low. I do not know how reactive these speakers are, i.e. how smooth the impedance curve is or if there are any significant impedance dips or phase angle shifts. Also unknown is the use of negative feedback in his amplifiers and the impedance of the output transformers.

These factors have a tremendous influence on the sound of relatively low output impedance of SE class A amps—speakers with significant impedance dips and phase shift angles become more difficult for them to control. I’m not saying electrosattic speakers are a bad choice for this amplifier, I haven’t heard them. But conventional wisdom would say they are not the best match. However if this was all about conventional wisdom none of us would be listening to SE DHT amps.

Given the influence speakers have on these amps and the dramatic difference in our speaker choices, our listening experiences are probably quite different. I have tried several different speaker types, but to me nothing compares, with Class A SE amplifiers, to a full range drivers with no crossover circuits. By nature these Provide the very stable minimally reactive load that single ended amplifiers lIke. Yes, full range drivers have measurable limitations, but then again so do SE DHT tube amps. I find the combination sublime.

There were some similarities in our experiences, but I do not completely agree with his findings. Possibly due to our vastly different speaker choices. Some of the places he found the 2A3 lacking I did not. Same could be said for the 300B. Based on my choice of speaker, a highly efficient full range driver backed with speaker level REL subwoofers, The 2A3 with zero negative feedback equals or slightly bests the 300 B in all parameters with a clear edge in transient detail. In theory a more reactive speaker load might be better controlled by the more powerful 300 B with negative feedback applied. This seems to be the opposite of what the reviewer found. Speaker control is also affected by output impedance of the output transformer which the reviewer Stated were different between the amplifiers. Lots of moving parts here.
88, 89, 90db 6Ω load dropping to 2Ω, min is nuts for SET's but we must remember that his amps are built with Toroidal transformers which if I'm not mistaken can be implemented to better deal with low impedance drops.

Agree his results would appear to be more credible to me had he used locally for him Sonido or Cube Audio wideband drivers, at the very least as a check for using his ML hybird ESL's.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
"Right off the bat, this amp initially sounded like trash. For the first 10 hours or so, the timbre was completely off. Steinways sounded like crappy keyboards and cymbals sounded like someone was was banging on an empty tin can with a spoon. It was so bad that I thought I must have screwed something up. I re-measured the test points and found nothing remarkable…"

"Closing thoughts

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my 8900 and think it's Elekit's best model thus far. If you can jive with it's sound signature, it more than holds its own against other amps around its price range. In fact, out of all the amps I've tried in this range, it's easily my first choice."

I love these reviews.

A very thought-out review with me leaning to TU-8600S Lundahl if I had too. Nothing beats a Point-Point Analog for Tube Sound in the long game. As it all depends on what sound signature one is shooting for. The Equipment chain is important being Power Amp, Speakers then the rest follows. Next purchase will be Elekit TU-8550 then by the fall Pathos Inpol2 MKII Tube Hybrid IA.

has anyone tried audionote copper caps? should it perform about the same as Vcaps? I understand the AN copper it is same size as silver's and thus will require some mod to fit without having to resort to a raiser for the amps top plate - even though AN states it measures 22mmD x 40mmL , so just within what elekit's page says (a 22mmx44mm max size for caps)
Thanks

you do not mod to install Audio note copper but it is required for silver cap.

1662961503735.png
1662961638134.png

Copper AN - no modification. Silver AN

has anyone tried audionote copper caps? should it perform about the same as Vcaps? I understand the AN copper it is same size as silver's and thus will require some mod to fit without having to resort to a raiser for the amps top plate - even though AN states it measures 22mmD x 40mmL , so just within what elekit's page says (a 22mmx44mm max size for caps)
Thanks
I tried both the V caps and AN copper in my 8600. I preferred V-caps by far. I did not like the AN Copper. Lacked detail and bloated in my system. However, I am running 10” full range speakers (no tweeters) and a Terminator DAC which is known for exquisite detailed highs without being shrill like some of the highly touted ”affordable“ chip based DACs I tried. So definitely system dependent.

The V caps disappear and allow the sound of the system through...maybe not for somebody with horn tweeters and a bright DAC.

They both required extensive break in. Maybe it was just an adjustment time for me. Electrolytic capacitors have a definitive conditioning period, but film caps are debatable. Either way, I gave them same amount of time. The AN coppers we’re in first and I wasn’t happy. I noticed an immediate improvement with the V caps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
for those with the 601S TKD pot, are you using 10k, 50k or 100k? I know some of the basics - 10k the less noisy, may have some roll off depending on source, etc, but have no practical experience. Will use with the 8550 pre, which has a good volume control as selling point and I guess will be the main volume controler for me. So my tendency is to go with 10k, does that make sense and does it still depend on all the rest of my system?

I'm looking for a 2A3 amplifier and cannot decide if I need to buy the Elekit 8900 because I read that it's pretty 'analytic-sounding', not warm amplifier. I like having details but I also like the warm side of tubes. I listen a lot to female vocals, piano, guitar & jazz, sometimes electro and pop music.

My problem is also prices :LOL:, because otherwise I would have bought a Triode Lab 2A3 (7500$) which I find beautiful and seems to sound amazing!

What do you think? Can I make it lean to a more 'tubey' sound using some specific tubes?

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user