Electrical Fault-Thorens TD280

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
First post,
I have been given a Thorens TD280 by a neighbour,I am already working on a AR-XA.
I said it would be a backburner though I would take it off his hands.
It is indeed dead,suspecting the power supply I took it into work and the electrician found the power supply was giving out 24v.
It is a Thorens unit,input240vac/50Hz,output16vac/160mA 2.6va BARTEC.
Im thinking the over voltage has damaged the board,is there anything that can be done to repair it?
A friend has completed an Open University course on Electronics and he's offered to have a look at it in the forthcoming weeks.
I have downloaded the service manual,are there any hints for him to check firstly?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply,Im a mechanical fitter and do not have an electrical bias,that is why a friend has offered to look into it.What I'm trying to do is collect any relevant information or known common faults to assist him.
I have looked at the service manual and read Tp1 to have 24 volts but AC/DC is not specified,though it does note that that it is powered by a AC source between 16 to 19 volts,I must be missing something as my electrical knowledge is slim.
To clarify the model is a MKll,I didn't make that clear earlier.

We have approx. 24v DC on that point. That comes directly from the transformer.
The 24V is then called UB. That feeds the three phase oscillator and driver stages that directly drive the motor. Feed back is through an opto isolator to get the speed to the correct value. That is it. Very basic and all discrete components.
AS it is fed from the transformer through a full wave bridge rectifier, to work out the AC supply multiply 24 by 0.707. That will be your AC supply voltage.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.